SimplePool App for Android. A Review.

so its my first time posting on this site so hello first of all. anyway i just got the TF-100 test kit in the mail and am really interested in picking up this application. the problem is i don't use the BBB method yet. was wondering if i can still use this app with the chemicals i purchased for the season? not sure if the chemical properties are the same if i were to use ph + store bought vs. borax? i plan on using the BBB method next year, just wanted to clear out what i have left first.

Yes, you can still use SimplePool. Many of the chemicals sold a pool stores to adjust ph are equivalent to their generic supermarket counterparts. If you let us know exactly what you have, we can provide guidance. Please include a full set of tests as well.

-Ken

Glock,

There is not a way "currently," to display an average daily consumption value.... But, I think that is a great idea! How would you envision that working? Displaying it as a "report,
" or incorporating it into an existing screen?

Ken

kenmar said:
Yes, you can still use SimplePool. Many of the chemicals sold a pool stores to adjust ph are equivalent to their generic supermarket counterparts. If you let us know exactly what you have, we can provide guidance. Please include a full set of tests as well.

-Ken

ken all my chemicals where bought at poolcenter.com. i shopped around and they were the cheapest. i plan on using the BBB method next year when i am out of the chemicals i bought this year.

i just got my test kit yesterday and these were my results....8/2
TC= 4.5
FC= 3.5
CC= 1.0
pH= 7.2
TA= 100
CYA= 40

i put these in your app and with me having shock w/65% cal-hypo i added 4 1lb bags.

24 hours later these are my results
TC= 13.5
FC= 13.5
CC= 0
pH= 7.2
TA= 100
CYA= 40

when i added the shock i kept my chlorinator running at just under the 2 mark. my question is do i keep the chlorine running at this level or do i shut it off?

i know i sound like a newbie but i pretty much am. i have owned a pool for 4 years with one of those years getting the liner replaced and switching from bromine to chlorine. i have always used brand name chemicals and just those flimsy test strips that you can never read correctly. came across this board and really wanted to change my attitude on maintaining a pool by using a real test kit and switching to the BBB method.

sorry if i am hijacking your thread but i figure do it in here rather than make a new thread that has probably been beaten to death.

sorry for the rant again and i really like the app and all the functions that goes with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glock,

I updated my Inspire, and as you already know... it blocked SimplePool.
I did some research and have some promising things to try.
One way or the other, I will have this resolved by the end of the weekend.

BTW, the Inspire UI enhancements are an improvement!

-Ken-

aviolentword,

I would maintain shock level until you can perform the overnight fc test. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Your pH also seems a bit low, and you will want to deal with that soon too.

You probably should start a new thread as there are a ton of smart people (smarter than I) on this board who may not be reading this thread because they don't use SimplePool.

-Ken-

Ken,
I've been using Simplepool Pro for about 6 weeks and really like it. Unfortunately, I can't keep up with future updates as I have a phone that is stuck on Android 2.1. In order to keep current with SimplePool as it evolves, I've been considering getting a different phone or, possibly, a small tablet (e.g., Kindle Fire, Nook Color, HP TouchPad). Does SimplePool work and look OK on the 7" tablets? Is one any better than another?
-Gary

Hi Gary,

Although SimplePool is not specifically designed for tablets, it works just fine.
I have a Galaxy 10.1 Tab which I use with SimplePool (as well as my HTC Inspire phone.)
I do believe that there is someone on this forum who using a Kindle.
Functionally, there should not be too much difference (with regards to SimplePool.)

Smart Phones and Tablets are so advanced now, I really don't think you can go wrong...
But for me, given the option for a smartphone, I would go with a larger screen.

-Ken-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.