SimplePool App for Android. A Review.

Hi Gareth,

Yes, I have metric conversions on my todo list.
I just started working on the next release today.
Although metric won't be in the next release (due 7/1), I will see if I can incorporate into the subsequent release (planned for 8/1.)

Ken, I would work with you to write an iOS app, but the $99 a year fee would probably eventually catch up to me. With that said, if you wrote it in html5 and used phone gap, you could target all devices without too much trouble.

but the $99 a year fee would probably eventually catch up to me.

The $99 annual feel is a big barrier for me too (Android = $25 once!)

I had not heard of PhoneGap before... checking out the site now...

I have to be careful not to over extend myself.
I REALLY REALLY enjoy working on SimplePool. I know this sounds weird, but I find it relaxing :-D
I WANT to enjoy working on SimplePool, I am afraid if I take on too much, SimplePool will become like....work...ugh.

-Ken-

When I try to open the link from the web page in the Google Play store, I get "Your device is not compatible". I have a Samsung Galaxy S II running Android 4.0.3. Does this app not work with Ice Cream Sandwich?

Hi eras2r,

There is nothing that I have configured to prevent SimplePool from running on ICS 4.0.3.
That said, I am in the process of downloading/updating my development environment with the latest Android API's and packages as I write this.
I will setup an ICS image on my emulator and see if I encounter any problems.
I did do a quick search on the Internet, and it seems there are a few apps that do not run on ICS.
It may be related, but the current version of SimplePool is written to support Android 2.1 and above.
The next release will support Android 2.2 and above.

As soon as I find anything out, I will let you know.

-Ken-

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only issue I have on the galaxy nexus is if the screen turns off due to idle timeout while the 'advice' page is loaded....then when the phone is turned back on, most of text seems to have disapeared....however, clicking the back key and then advice page again corrects....otherwise, my sprint galaxy nexus runing ics 4.0.4 is very happy with simple pool.

Hey Ken,

The only new thing I found is that there is a limit on the FC...you can only enter up to 80....and I know you're probably like who in the world would go any higher than that...well finally got my Dad to go to the BBB method and his CYA is around 180 so he insisted he didn't want to drain his pool any (vinyl and water cost) so we shocked to mustard algae level which was around 102...tried to tell him it's gonna cost more in bleach and chlorine to shock it than it would to drain and refill 50% but Dad's will be Dad's I guess.

Only other suggestion I can think of is maybe a shock option where you can either keep track of a shock process OR at maybe a CYA\Shock chart where you plug in your CYA level and it gives you what FC to shock to?

Take care and it's still working like a charm

Hi Ed-209,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been thinking about how to better deal with managing shocking. Currently, sp will show you shock values only if your cc's are too high.... Maybe l'll put a checkbox on the levels screen to ask if the user is currently shocking.

Thanks again,

-Ken-

Great app! Found this thread and downloaded Lite, which I used for a couple days. Just bought Pro now not because I necessarily needed the graphs, but because I wanted to support a fellow TFP member and reward you for your hard work. It's entirely possible to use Lite forever, though I second the ability to "alert" SP that I'm shocking. The advice for FC doesn't make sense when I'm trying to stay north of 10ppm FC.

As I get into the new features of SP I'll likely have some feedback (I'm a business analyst/process improvement analyst by trade, apologies in advance :) ).

I recently upgraded to ICS 4.0.4 and the Play Store tells me that this app is only available for older versions of android. Actually it will not show up on the device. When I go to the Play Store on my PC it shows up but says its not compatible. This is a build from the web so may be some issue with my ICS software. I am missing my pro version though. Anyway I could get the APK?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.