Simple automation ( possible?)

My setup is pretty simple. 2 speed pump, no heater, no spa, no actuated valves. Currently I have a manual intermatic timer controlling the pump on/off and a manual spdt toggle switch wired inline to change the pump speeds. The switch is center off so up is high speed, middle is off and down is low speed. The timer motor on my intermatic just went out so I am looking at changing that out and being able to automate the on/off and speed of my pump. I would like to also be able to control through zwave as that is what all my other home automations are.

Aeotec has a heavy duty zwave switch that would work for the on/off though it seems to be sold out everywhere (possibly discontinued?):

I have also found the GE which should do the same, though it is more expensive:

I am not sure how I can control the speed selection though.

Here is one thread that seems to accomplish what u wish 👇
Let’s get some eyes on your plans
@ajw22
@JoyfulNoise

Here is one thread that seems to accomplish what u wish 👇
Let’s get some eyes on your plans
@ajw22
@JoyfulNoise
Thanks. I did see that one. The only thing I would like to do different from this is to also be able to control the speed remotely. Essentially swap the t106 they used for something also z wave; I am just not sure how to accomplish that.

Thanks. I did see that one. The only thing I would like to do different from this is to also be able to control the speed remotely. Essentially swap the t106 they used for something also z wave; I am just not sure how to accomplish that.
I noticed on another post that the zwave is not rated for motor loads. Hopefully someone will have more input soon.

Two-pole contactors with Wi-Fi switch/relays?

Take a look at this as a jumping-off point:

Post pics of the switch you use to control your pump speeds and post a pic of your pump motor data plate.

Show me the right side of the pump label that has the wiring diagram for the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure how I can control the speed selection though.

So you have the wiring diagram. What are you not sure about?

Controlling the speed is a SPDT switch or relay that switches a hot line between the high speed or low speed lines.

Note that this wiring diagram does not meet NEC requirements for both 240V hot lines to be disconnected from the pump when the pump is off. It is dangerous for anyone working on the pump.

198308-c7277ba6bf60785b7ff4e22f7eb3fa9b.jpg

So you have the wiring diagram. What are you not sure about?

Controlling the speed is a SPDT switch or relay that switches a hot line between the high speed or low speed lines.

Note that this wiring diagram does not meet NEC requirements for both 240V hot lines to be disconnected from the pump when the pump is off. It is dangerous for anyone working on the pump.

198308-c7277ba6bf60785b7ff4e22f7eb3fa9b.jpg
Thanks. I don't know what I would need to use to be able to switch the speed remotely(zwave.)

The manual spdt toggle switch and how I've shown it is what I have now. What would I need to change to have it be nec compliant?

The manual spdt toggle switch and how I've shown it is what I have now. What would I need to change to have it be nec compliant?

I am not sure since you did not show the way the timer is wired to the switch and pump.

Your timer may disconnect both hot wires. But if you replace the timer and speed switch you need to do it right and not just follow that wiring diagram.

You need to use one double pole relay to turn pump power on/off.

You need another DPST relay to switch the pump between low speed and high speed.

Both relay contacts need to be rated to carry the inductive load of the pump.

Setup your desired automation to control those two relays.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.