Show me your coping and decks! (Please)

TexasOasis

Sep 22, 2020
South Texas
Hi! So we are almost there... just making some final decisions for the proposal agreement with our selected builder. His standard is a concrete deck and coping which he coats with spray deck. He says it can be all one color or painted in two different colors to give the illusion of two separate pieces. He has given us the option of that or spray deck with travertine coping at a cost of an extra $3800. I am reading so many conflicting opinions. Can you share pictures of what you have? Tell me what you like about the options! Thanks!

We were going to do this but it’s almost an extra $1000 so decided to just do acrylic lace.

Attachments

• 53E2716F-FDDE-46B5-836E-4D83715FC9FF.jpeg
    53E2716F-FDDE-46B5-836E-4D83715FC9FF.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: TexasOasis
Is that a textured concrete form for the coping?
It’s a standard cantilever deck with the acrylic overlay. To get the “coping” edge stamped into it was extra so it will be the acrylic lace all over (looks like kool deck). So the concrete is just concrete and the design is on top. We had it done on our last pool and it definitely didn’t cost that much, or it’s equivalent, or we wouldn’t have had it.

Reactions: TexasOasis
We have stamped concrete, which then had mortar joints hand carved roughly 1/8" deep. The stones were painted with a sprayer and the joint lines were then hand painted. It looked awesome for a while, though a bit slippery. The coping is PA Bluestone. This is an excellent article discussion bluestone. Everything You Need to Know About Pennsylvania Bluestone The stone is very dense and is the natural cleft variety, not the thermal finished variety. It has only ever had one small piece flake off of one stone since installation. Since the natural cleft stone is separated at it's natural fissures, it can also have some remnant pieces come off as it gets to the next solid layer. However, note that it is very hot in full sun in the heat of summer. You can't stand on it when dry in bare feet during those times. Not a big deal for us. Flip flops or get it wet.

IMG_7452.JPG

Now 7 years later, the paint has mostly faded and worn away. I won't bother repainting it because, although it looked great, it would be a ton of work and will need maintenance to maintain and do again someday. I did seal it for the first year or two, though it faded anyway. I like that it still has texture and form, though it lacks much of the color. It is now maintenance free, aside for an occasional powerwash, which I've not done yet. It is no longer slippery.

2019-06-28 19.24.58 - Resized.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, coping is unchanged. Just the exposure on the picture. I'd say the first picture is overexposed. On the concrete, just no/little stain left on the concrete. And some accumulated dirt.

Reactions: Nikilyn
Not the best picture, we went with travertine coping and matching travertine waterline tile. Hard to see in the pictures, but its a light white/eggshell with streaks of gray and brick. the decking was poured concrete with textured spray. we wanted travertine all around, but the cost was a bit high and travertine can get a bit slippery, the spray deck stays cool and grippy. the spray color is not quite white, but not beige/egshell either, its called arizona sugar i believe

Screenshot_20201110-131032.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.