Should We Trust the Pool Store Advice?

PoolInTheRain

May 5, 2021
North Haven, CT
Surface
Vinyl
We just opened our 16x32, 17,280 gallon in ground pool. It was shocked, and we ran the filter for 48 hours and vacuumed to waste. We just got our water sample back, and these were our current levels:

pH: 8
Total Alkanity: 55
Calcium Hardness: 198
Free Chlorine: 0.2
Total Chlorine: 2.5
CYA: 5
Phosphate: 339

The pool store recommended lowering the pH to 7.5 and shocking the pool with 10 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%). However, when I use the Pool Math App it says a SLAM would require only 177 oz of liquid chlorine.

How do we proceed? Should we bother adjusting the CYA? Is a SLAM appropriate? Is the pool store steering us in the wrong direction?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
What does the pool look like?
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP! I'm new here too 😁

Saw the title, "Should We Trust the Pool Store Advice?," and had to come yell NOOOO! even before I saw the recommendation. No, it is probably not a good idea to dump 10gallons of 12% into your pool at once (would raise FC to 72).

mknauss won't steer you wrong. If you have the 12% bleach already, poolmath says ~0.75 gallon will get you the 5ppm FC you need daily until you can test the water with your own kit.

Take the time to create your signature, so people can see the details of your setup.

Reactions: poolboy00
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.