Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2020
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are currently waiting for our pre-plaster inspection and anticipate having plaster in the next few weeks. Should we buy a small stock of liquid chlorine and other chemicals to have on hand ready to go? We’re in DFW, but with summer coming to a close and this being our first pool, I’m not sure how readily available liquid chlorine will be in the next couple of months. There didn’t seem to be a huge inventory of bottles the last time we’ve looked for it. FWIW, the Julian date found this weekend was 179.

Disclaimer: I didn’t find this site until after the PB process began and it sounds like a SWG is in our future if it’s as easy as they say. :)

You should be OK on the chlorine purchase here in DFW. When you are within a week or so of opening it will not hurt to stock up on several gallons. Even if you do switch to saltwater I don't think they start them up for 30 days so you'll need liquid chlorine for that first month.

Your best and likely easiest purchase around here is at Home Depot. They've scared me a time or two this year with stock running low, but I think they are just are getting less stock this year with the Covid situation. Every time I've seen a store get down to single digit bottles they get a pallet within just a day or two. My closest store is Coit and Campbell and they show 11 boxes tonight (3 bottles per box) and another store within a few miles shows 104 boxes - that is close to 2 pallets.

The HD here also stocks year round. We don't need a lot, but we pump a little chlorine year round even when the water temp drops below 60. Our spa is attached and we stay open all year, so I keep the chlorine going. It doesn't take near as much, but some.

Here is a link to the 3 bottle boxes at HD. HDX 128 oz. Chlorinating Liquid (3-Pack)-30128HDX - The Home Depot

Reactions: Green25
@GDN - I saw that this weekend when researching but the “shock” in the name made me question whether or not it was what we should be looking for. Our closest HD only had 1, but all the others seem to have plenty in stock. TY, this is very helpful!

@mgtfp - maybe? I read through a ton of posts and articles early on in the PBing process, but the last few months have been a doozy and I’m not sure I retained it 100%. We’re still trying to figure out the best place for chemical storage to balance cooler storage temps in the Texas heat with potential corrosiveness. I’m definitely going to need to reread now that we’re much closer to the finish.

@Msch99 - that’s exactly what I’m afraid of happening, although we likely have a longer swim season. But with the run on bleach products and the weirdness of this year who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN
@GDN - I saw that this weekend when researching but the “shock” in the name made me question whether or not it was what we should be looking for. Our closest HD only had 1, but all the others seem to have plenty in stock. TY, this is very helpful!

@mgtfp - maybe? I read through a ton of posts and articles early on in the PBing process, but the last few months have been a doozy and I’m not sure I retained it 100%. We’re still trying to figure out the best place for chemical storage to balance cooler storage temps in the Texas heat with potential corrosiveness. I’m definitely going to need to reread now that we’re much closer to the finish.
Good to note on the name, they all call it a little something different, but this is the exact product you want - it is 10% sodium hypochlorite. The key is to look at the ingredients. Avoid most of the Clorox products in the laundry aisle these days as they have additional extra chemicals in them.

Some of the stores have it in 2 bottles per box and some have 3 per box. I buy between 6 and 9 bottles at a time. That is a few week supply for us. I keep it out by the pool equipment in the heat and shaded. It might deteriorate some, but still has most of it's potency when we use it.

Look for the Julian date, the 5 digit code on the outside of the box. You don't wan't it if it is several months old. That 5 digit Julian date is the year and the day of the year it was manufactured, if you are not familiar with it, today August 3 is 20214 - the 20 is the year 2020 and today is the 214th day of the year, hence 20214. The date will be printed on the outside of the box.

Reactions: Green25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.