Should water be seen flowing through pump?

ev5050

May 31, 2019
Texas
We are brand new pool owners. Plaster and fill was done about 10 days ago. PB hasn't gotten around to schooling us yet. ? We have a Hayward pump and I'm curious...should I be able to see water flowing through that piece with the clear plastic cover? I can hear the pump running but there's no water visible. PB says that's how it's supposed to be. And that we'd only see water under that cover if there was a leak somewhere. Unfortunately it's been a long and uphill battle with him so want to make sure. Videos I've seen on YouTube show water running under that clear cover. Any insight from anyone? TIA!

It's certainly possible for the pump basket to be completely full of water. If it is you won't see an water moving in it. It'll look like it's completely empty, and that's fine. As long as the water is running out of the returns as it should you don't have anything to worry about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please excuse my ignorance but how do I know if I "contantly get air in the filter"?

Thanks!!!

Check your filter's air-release valve from time to time. If a lot of air comes out, you have a significant leak. Water should fill the filter to the top.

Reactions: dschddny
The air relief valve is opposite of the gauge. Open it a little once in a while and see how much air escapes before it's pretty much solid water. If there a little air there's nothing to worry about, but if it's a lot and it happens pretty often then you have a suction side leak.

Reactions: dschddny
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.