Should this plumbing be simplified?

Nov 30, 2009
North Florida
Hi All,

This is my sister's small pool.

She just had the pump/motor replaced. While there, the fellow noted this U shaped bit of plumbing should, at some point, be simplified.

It has worked OK for about 15 years ... any thoughts on what should be done - if anything?

Anything inherently wrong with this - looks like it was done to allow easy access to the pump?

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 42
You'd be able to reduce the head (resistance) a bit and increase flow a teeny-tiny bit, but unless you have a variable speed pump that won't make a lick of difference in the electric bill, nor the system's performance (to any real-world degree). It's fine as is.

You do need access above the pump lid, to unscrew it and to pull the basket inside the pump up and out, but that could have been better achieved in any of several other ways. It was an unfortunate choice made by the original plumber, which your new plumber recognized.

It's too bad he didn't just fix it on the spot. If it were me, it might have been worth it to pay the extra 10 minutes of labor that would have required of the plumber. But it wouldn't be worth another service call expense. Maybe next time...

At some point she could upgrade to a variable speed pump and save some expense on the electric bill. Was that discussed, or did he just swap out the motor? If that's in her future, she can have it redone at that point, along with pump unions on the pump inlet and outlet ports.

Last edited:
They should have switched to a variable speed pump and redone the plumbing.
Agree. @stephenson, it might not be too late for that. The plumber should be willing to take that motor back with the prospect of installing a new pump. If you supply her electricity unit cost, and the horsepower of the current pump motor, there are some here that can calculate the ROI of a new pump for you (how many years it'll take for a new pump to pay for itself in energy savings). I don't know how, but I think JamesW does (nice of me, isn't it, to volunteer him?!)...

Roger that.
she would also need to replace the panel, correct?
Not necessarily. You'd have to check the circuit breaker amperage, and then the amp draw for the pump.

A VS pump wouldn't necessarily need more amps than that old single speed...

And some pumps can make use of a VS motor upgrade (so just like she swapped out her motor, she could have swapped it for a two-speed or variable speed motor). There are a few ways to save her some energy expenses.

It depends on what the control panel is doing. If it's just a timer for the pump, a VS pump has its own built-in control panel and timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.