SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Here are my latest test results (using my test kit):

FC 5
CYA 60
TA 200
CH 250
PH 7.6

TA has always been about 200. The water has been clear all summer - just letting the SWG do it's thing basically, add MA once in while, and the numbers stay pretty consistent. I have read on this forum to not really chase lowering the TA if everything seems fine.

Thoughts?

I think TA is recommend about 80-110, as over that causes the PH to drift up.

If you can create lots of aeration in your pool,
1) you can drop the PH to 7.2 with muraitic acid
2) use lots of aeration to raise the PH back up (which will "use" up) the excess TA
3) it might take a couple days to raise depending on quality/quantity of aeration used
4) then repeat until the TA is at least 110 (or slightly under)

Are you using lots of baking soda?

Yes but SWG pools have a rising pH due to the salt cell so lowering TA to any level typically has little effect on stabilizing pH. If you are at a point where you can add acid once a week or less I call that perfect. No reason to mess with anything.

My TA was last checked about 2 months ago at 170, my pH doesn't move off of 7.5 even with swimming and a water feature running. Each pool is different so nobody can say you need X TA and X CH or you'll have issues. It is just a matter of finding a balance of what works for each person and their pool.

Yes but SWG pools have a rising pH due to the salt cell so lowering TA to any level typically has little effect on stabilizing pH. If you are at a point where you can add acid once a week or less I call that perfect. No reason to mess with anything.

My TA was last checked about 2 months ago at 170, my pH doesn't move off of 7.5 even with swimming and a water feature running. Each pool is different so nobody can say you need X TA and X CH or you'll have issues. It is just a matter of finding a balance of what works for each person and their pool.
Absolutely Agreed! It is all about balance!

In response to splashpad, I don't use, nor have I ever used, any baking soda. My understanding is no need to as my TA has always been in the 200 range.

Yes but SWG pools have a rising pH due to the salt cell so lowering TA to any level typically has little effect on stabilizing pH.
Not true. SWGs are pH neutral. High TA is the primary cause of rising pH.

The OP has a cover, which slows CO2 loss and minimizes pH rise from high TA.

Since the pool is heated, the CSI is going to be high enough to risk scaling the cell.

I would recommend maintaining the pH at 7.3 to help reduce the risk of scaling the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think TA is recommend about 80-110, as over that causes the PH to drift up.

If you can create lots of aeration in your pool,
1) you can drop the PH to 7.2 with muraitic acid
2) use lots of aeration to raise the PH back up (which will "use" up) the excess TA
3) it might take a couple days to raise depending on quality/quantity of aeration used
4) then repeat until the TA is at least 110 (or slightly under)

Are you using lots of baking soda?

In response to splashpad, I don't use, nor have I ever used, any baking soda. My understanding is no need to as my TA has always been in the 200 range.

I would still suggest using this method to lower TA (by lowering the PH with muriatic acid) and then raising it by good aeration to use up the excess TA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.