Should I vent the filter?

Kes

Apr 24, 2010
Worcester UK
For twenty years we had a sand filter with a lid and nothing else, no gauge or air relief valve. Now we have a new filter that has both of these. On startup yesterday I vented the filter to the point of water coming out of the valve. This morning I can see that air has accumulated and I can see the water entering the filter.

Is it normal practice to run the filter with some air in the top, or should I vent it so that the filter is full of water? Backwashing will remove some of the air I guess, but running with some air means that there is no control over the actual water level in the filter. Does it matter?

Not an expert but I would check / tighten any suction side connections. Clamps/O rings etc. A few bubbles shouldn't hurt anything, but the air has to come from somewhere and I would want to find out where.

Yes, I appreciate that, but I think a skimmer would always pull in some suspended air. The question is, do people run their filters with a quantity of air present, or do they bleed it off? Wouldn't an airless filter interfere with the distribution of the incoming water over the filter media?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.