Should I use Chlorine?

moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
On my weekly pool route, a couple of customers have hot tubs. They have asked me to take care of them as part of my weekly service. It's turning out to be a bit tricky to keep bromine in one of them. I think because it's a vactation rental, it's suffering from heavy bather load. I have tabs in the floater and I am going to replace the filter this week. (It's a hotspot brand). I have also been adding a teaspoon or two of non chlorinating shock but the water just looks nasty. I used a sump pump a couple of weeks ago to drain the tub and fill it again. I would have liked to purge it with Ahhsome but I can't find any documentation online how to do it for this particular hot tub. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Run!! Sorry, kidding. (Not really.) I don't know spas, at all, but I can't imagine how one could take care of a vacation rental spa with a weekly visit (or even a pool, for that matter). Don't spa owners have to pour in a little sanitizer after every use, and that based on user load, so test multiple times a week, at least, too?

Geez, I wouldn't get into a rental spa myself. Not unless it was drained between every set of guests. Maybe that's your service model?

Let's see if others here have any ideas... Good luck.

Reactions: moore887
I would recommend turning it into a salt water generator spa in a heartbeat... I would use Awesome on it to clean it out, drain it, refill, add 30 to 50 CYA, add salt and drop in the SWG.. I would try to keep it at 4 FC just because who knows what will happen in there...

Check every week :)

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
I agree about the swg. As i have the saltron mini & rarely need to supplement with liquid chlorine unless i have a heavy extended bather load. Generally it keeps my chlorine on the high side.
Mine is just thrown over the side of my round small tub but some people are able to “hide” them in the filter area of a larger tub so long as they are fully submerged.

I believe ahhsome flush is pretty much the same in all tubs - increase sanitizer to shock level, remove filters & place them in the tub, add amount of ahhsome recommended per gals & scoop the funky foam out / wipe sides.
Let the jets run at least 30min - let it sit then run 30 more min.
Drain, rinse, clean.
Wash filters.
If u think its nasty do it twice w/ only a 1/2 dose the 2nd go round

Reactions: moore887
Thanks for all the replies. I will look into getting the SWG in the spas that I take care of. The only thing to do now is figure out how to properly drain the hotspot spa. I don't think the sub pump is a great idea because it takes so long.

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into getting the SWG in the spas that I take care of. The only thing to do now is figure out how to properly drain the hotspot spa. I don't think the sub pump is a great idea because it takes so long.
not sure if this is the year but they are probably all quite similar 👇
Pg 25 - you’ll still have to use the sub pump or vac to drain below the suction fitting though as is usually the case with most tubs

@moore887 here’s a cool ahhsome purge thread-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.