Should I upgrade from Super pump VSP 1.65 to Tristar vsp 1.85 ? (crazy utility Rebate)

SunnyP2000

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2013
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
So i am not really happy with the performance of super pump vsp as i am constantly running at higher speeds to get good skimming. i am surrounded by trees so i do get decent amount of debris depending on the day. My utility company is offering $1000 rebate for every vsp pool pump installed. Does it makes sense to upgrade ? my cost shouldn't be that bad after rebate. Maybe i can ask the PB to take the super pump back and just charge me reasonable amount for upgrade. I think issue is the tristar has 2inch fitting where super pump has 1.5inch so some plumbing work will be required. i can easily do it myself but to get the rebate you have to have PB install it and give you receipt. super pump is only few months old.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great opportunity, but make sure they do not require that you are upgrading from a fixed speed pump. If they will let you get the rebate going from a VSP to another VSP, it sounds to me like you are gaining an advantage from a loophole in what the power company is trying to achieve (lowering net power on their grid). Someone should want your existing used VSP pump too (i.e. Craigslist), further helping the economics (if the power company doesn't want to destroy your existing pump).

Sounds like a great opportunity, but make sure they do not require that you are upgrading from a fixed speed pump. If they will let you get the rebate going from a VSP to another VSP, it sounds to me like you are gaining an advantage from a loophole in what the power company is trying to achieve (lowering net power on their grid). Someone should want your existing used VSP pump too (i.e. Craigslist), further helping the economics (if the power company doesn't want to destroy your existing pump).
yeap all they ask for are model # and manufacture only. link to rebate

Did you notice that the rebate "fine print" states "The rebate amount cannot be more than 50 percent of the retail purchase price paid."?
i did but i was hoping that's for meant for the original rebate of $350. most pumps cost $1500 or less . btw my neighbor already received $2000 rebate for his 2 pumps he got installed. they were both tri star vs 900 pumps.

If you are going to upgrade, I would go for the 2.7 HP VS over a 1.85 VS. Lower RPM for the same flow rate so will be quieter. But don't expect to save much on energy. Flow rate of the pump is more closely tied to energy use than is RPM so no matter which pump you go with, it will unlikely pay for itself unless it is almost free.

If you are going to upgrade, I would go for the 2.7 HP VS over a 1.85 VS. Lower RPM for the same flow rate so will be quieter. But don't expect to save much on energy. Flow rate of the pump is more closely tied to energy use than is RPM so no matter which pump you go with, it will unlikely pay for itself unless it is almost free.
thanks i was thinking on upgrading to 2.7hp Tri-Star pump. so you are saying energy cost same between the 1.85 and 2.7hp ?

thanks i was thinking on upgrading to 2.7hp Tri-Star pump. so you are saying energy cost same between the 1.85 and 2.7hp
I believe he is saying there is already so much cost savings with the 1.85 (in general, compared to a SS pump), that the ever so slightly better energy usage savings in the 2.75 pump would take forever to justify the price difference if savings were the sole deciding factor.

*the same would apply to a 2 speed pump and a VS pump if upgrading from a SS. The 2 speed pump is much cheaper yet gets almost all of the energy savings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe he is saying there is already so much cost savings with the 1.85 (in general, compared to a SS pump), that the ever so slightly better energy usage savings in the 2.75 pump would take forever to justify the price difference if savings were the sole deciding factor.
got it. thanks

Reactions: Newdude
That same is true for the 1.65 HP VS that the OP already has. There isn't much difference between VS pumps when it comes to energy savings at the same flow rate.

I can give you some hard numbers if you can give me the current RPM for the SuperPump.

Reactions: Newdude
That same is true for the 1.65 HP VS that the OP already has. There isn't much difference between VS pumps when it comes to energy savings at the same flow rate.

I can give you some hard numbers if you can give me the current RPM for the SuperPump.
i am running my super pump at about 2400rpm most of the day . good skimming is around 2800 to 3000 . i have 7 returns , 4 by the steps i have them turned down a bit so i get more pressure on the other 3.

pool.PNG

2800 RPM is pretty high RPM to get the skimmers to work. Assuming typical plumbing with a heat pump and for the vs700, the flow rate would be about 45 GPM the vs700 would use around 610 watts and for the vs950 and at the same flow rate would be 515 watts so a 95 watt difference.

That that seem pretty high flow rate for two skimmers. What is the filter pressure at 2800 RPM? Is the heat pump normally bypassed?

2800 RPM is pretty high RPM to get the skimmers to work. Assuming typical plumbing with a heat pump and for the vs700, the flow rate would be about 45 GPM the vs700 would use around 610 watts and for the vs950 and at the same flow rate would be 515 watts so a 95 watt difference.

That that seem pretty high flow rate for two skimmers. What is the filter pressure at 2800 RPM? Is the heat pump normally bypassed?
heater is off but not bypassed . filter pressure is very low around 10 psi at 2800 but most of the day pump is running at around 2300 rpm which is about 380watts as per app.

10 PSI sounds about right for 2800 RPM.

What did the app say the watts are for 2800 RPM?

When you say that the skimmer does not work at lower RPM, what exactly happens?

10 PSI sounds about right for 2800 RPM.

2800rpm it says 569watts
there could be leaf right in front of the skimmer and it will just stay there not go into the skimmer. basically i am looking for better suction so i can see debris to in the skimmer basket. honestly if it wasn't for the rebate i would just leave everything alone. i figured if i can upgrade then why not. what you think?
Just FYI pool is only few months old and I am still learning.

It just won't save much in energy for the same flow rate but if the net cost is not much (assuming you sell the other pump), then maybe it is worth it. At least the larger pump will be quieter.

But either way, there are few things that might help. Install a bypass for the heat pump. Most heat pumps have a lot of head loss which will force you to run at a higher RPM. Also, if you have a MD and it is fully open, closing that down will help redirect the flow to the skimmers.

It just won't save much in energy for the same flow rate but if the net cost is not much (assuming you sell the other pump), then maybe it is worth it. At least the larger pump will be quieter.

But either way, there are few things that might help. Install a bypass for the heat pump. Most heat pumps have a lot of head loss which will force you to run at a higher RPM. Also, if you have a MD and it is fully open, closing that down will help redirect the flow to the skimmers.
Thanks I will keep trying to fool around with and my MD is barely open .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.