Should I SLAM?

gwatts225

Feb 10, 2021
Indiana
Opened the pool about 2 weeks ago and have been testing/treating daily. Recently have seen some major swings in FC levels. I've been adding bleach daily to get to target level of 3 per pool math. Example below:

4/24 - FC = 1.5
Add 28 oz of bleach
4/25 - FC = 0
Add 60 oz of bleach
4/26 - FC 2.5
Add 16 oz of bleach
4/27 - FC = 0.5

My water shows no signs of algae. Is actually really clear. My CYA level is 0 so I started adding some stabilizer yesterday but the pool is covered essentially the entire day so I don't think I'm losing any Cl due to UV rays. Should I be worried and starting the SLAM process?

Did you try an OCLT to see if there's something there eating your FC that you just can't see?
Do I need to specifically do the OCLT even though my pool is covered the entire day (outside of testing/adding chemicals for 1-2 hrs)? I think I'll focus on getting the CYA to a readable level and go from there as long as nothing else happens

Do I need to specifically do the OCLT even though my pool is covered the entire
You need to OCLT anytime you suspect algae. If you question it, OCLT. Don't come and ask us if your reasons are good enough to OCLT, come and *tell* us why you OCLT'd. We will chat and enjoy the company as we all pass the time waiting for the results. :)

OCLTs are free and if you wake up at a reasonable time anyway, don't even mess up your schedule.

(In your case, hitting 0 FC and being below minimum is guaranteed need for OCLT)

Reactions: SaltyBHouston
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.