Should I slam?

May 20, 2017
Randleman, NC
I have both test kits, the Taylor daily kit and the TF 100. When testing w/daily kit I have plenty of chlorine but when I test w/TF100 I have no chlorine. My 18' agp's water is green with a 30 cya and TA 110. Your chart recommends to slam with bleach. But my daily test kit says I have plenty of chlorine... any ideas??

What's your Combined Chlorine reading on the FAS-DPD test? The OTO ('daily') test measures Total Chlorine, so if you have a lot of organics I believe you could high CC and low Free Chlorine which would explain the OTO showing chlorine but the DPD not. More indication of a need to SLAM.

I came here to say that anytime I have seen your title pop up by other users, many many many times, The answer was yes. Reading your actual post confirms that.

Hey guys.... day 2. Just tested water and once again the daily kit (K-1000) tested chlorine is off the chart but my TF-100 says no chlorine. My DPD powder is no longer a powder and I'm wondering if this isn't a factor... My TA is 120 and my CYA is 30... Put one and a half gallons of bleach into pump and ran the pump for 6 hours. I can barely see the bottom of my pool and the sides are getting slimy. Not a lot of info, but I'm hoping you guys can still help.

Sounds like the FAS-DPD reagent is compromised. The OTO is showing you have chlorine in the pool.

When you add the R0870 powder and the sample does not turn pink, add the 5 drops of R0003 and see if it turns pink.

Hey guys.... day 2. Just tested water and once again the daily kit (K-1000) tested chlorine is off the chart but my TF-100 says no chlorine. My DPD powder is no longer a powder and I'm wondering if this isn't a factor... My TA is 120 and my CYA is 30... Put one and a half gallons of bleach into pump and ran the pump for 6 hours. I can barely see the bottom of my pool and the sides are getting slimy. Not a lot of info, but I'm hoping you guys can still help.
Sounds like the FAS-DPD reagent is compromised. The OTO is showing you have chlorine in the pool.

When you add the R0870 powder and the sample does not turn pink, add the 5 drops of R0003 and see if it turns pink.
Tried that and nothing... stayed clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For all it gets repeated it rarely gets explained that you have to see the bottom to know if somebody is drowning. Thanks for explaining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.