Should I SLAM or should I go?

Jul 13, 2011
Austin, TX
Hello everyone!

I just completed replacing the plaster in my pool with a pebble surface. It looks amazing! The job has been done for nearly two months, so I am out of my "curing" window. As a part of the work, a pool company was hired to monitor/maintain the pool while it was curing (first 30 days). It's now back on me and I'm noticing that the pool is consuming CL at a much higher rate. Yesterday, I decided to bring it up to SLAM level to see what happens. I did this after I cleaned out the filter (tear down/rinse/re-assemble). I didn't quite get it to SLAM (CL=10.5) and today it is 4.5. There's no visible algae and I'm removing any leaves that fall in. The CC is never more than .5

Is this normal for a start-up (I never had this much loss in the past)? I can continue to add CL to maintain FC=4.0, and I can SLAM it. I did an OCLT and I didn't see much of a change, if any.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

TC=4.5
CC=.5
pH=7.6
TA=80
CYA=30
Temp=71 degrees

SWG=off. Using liquid for winter

I did another OCLT last night and no change. It's consuming Cl fast. I will up the CYA to 50 (high end recommendation from pool math).

Any other thoughts? I have had great success with TFP. This plaster change just created a big change in what I have grown accustomed to seeing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.