Jolifer

May 30, 2020
Baltimore
Hello all!

I'm a new pool owner and I'm wondering how much to spend on a pool cover.

I've built the pool this spring and still have deck and water management issues to spend money on. Then the landscaping... So when I saw that Home Depot and other big stores sell pool covers for under $100 I thought, "Do I really need to buy an expensive cover like my pool company is trying to sell me?" They've quoted $5,000.

I'm in the suburbs of Baltimore and our winters are not typically very harsh. And for what it's worth, we built a 40' by 20' in-ground pool.

Your thoughts are appreciated! I'm very glad to have found this forum.
Jolifer

It depends on the type of cover you are looking for. If you want a solar blanket, any bubble cover will do. But if you want a safety cover, then you will need something much better.

I got a new Merlin solid safety cover last year for my 22’x44’ pool. For the cover and pump I paid like $3,300. And they closed the pool for me in the fall.

I don’t know what kind of covers they sell at HD for $100.

I also have a new pool 40*20. You can't use a regular tarp which is what you most likely saw at hd.

I bought my solid (non safety) pool cover from ocean state for $140. It's 50' x 30' and designed for pools. Good luck!

Bear in mind that a good quality mesh safety cover will last 20 - 25 years if looked after. $5000 is a bit steep, typically a rectangular 40x20 kit will cost less than half that so you can save yourself at least $2500 if you can drill a few holes in the deck to insert the anchors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.