Should I reduce TDS?

bboehm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2007
Cary, IL
After opening this year, my pool guy said my TDS level was 205ppm. He said anything above 200 can start to become a problem with being able to maintain correct ph, clorine etc levels. This is not a salt water pool. I've owned this pool for 15 years and have not once ever tested for TDS. Any reason to be concerned and is removing water from the pool and repleneshing the only way to reduce TDS? Thanks!

TDS is pretty much meaningless. What constitutes that TDS? Do you have your own proper test kit to run a full set of pool chemistry tests?

That is absolutely bogus advice. The only person benefitting from this is your pool guy, because he can sell you all the chemicals to rebalance your your water after the drain and refill. And next year again. And again. And again...

And that number of 205ppm doesn't make sense at all. Just having standard levels of TA, CYA and CH would lead to a higher TDS than just 205ppm. Maybe he is referring to salt and not TDS, or the increase from last year. Or just testing wrong, if at all.

But also salt at 205ppm is no problem at all. My pool runs at 4500ppm salt (that's what my Aussie SWG wants), and I have no issues whatsoever maintaining correct pH and chlorine.

All chlorine pools built up salt over time, and to much higher levels than just 205ppm. That's normal and nothing to worry about.

But as Marty suggested. Run a full set of tests and post the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.