Should I reconsider my equipment purchases, options? UV & inline vs. SWG

Apr 29, 2018
Macomb/MI
I have several questions regarding replacement equipment purchases and installation. I already made several purchases based on recommendations from my pool company and I hope I didn't make a huge mistake. I'm also considering upgrading to a VS pump. I've been trying to research as much as possible this past week but there's so much information I'm just indecisive and really need some help.

1) My pool was installed nine seasons ago
2) My heater died so I purchased the same Raypak 266k digital electric (waiting for delivery)
3) I have a SWG but absolutely hate it - I've already replaced the cell three times avg. $400/cell. Maybe it's just the brand but I want out of salt. I purchased the Pentair 322 inline chlorinator to replace it.
4) purchased Delta E-80 UV sanitation system - from reviews and research thus far this seems like a great option/improvement I hope but not convinced
5) figure now is as good a time as ever to consider upgrading my single-speed Whisperflo 1.5hp pump to VS and leaning towards the Hayward brand but unsure which is right for my system
6) In summary, the only equipment I want to keep is my cartridge filter.
7) we have full sunshine all day with no obstructions from shading. This also creates minimal debris from leaves or other issues which is nice
8) If I go with the UV do I need a check valve between the UV and heater?

Sorry for the lengthy inquiry but I'm looking for advice on my complete system and looking for constructive feedback on purchases and if I should invest in a VSP. In other words I need some serious help. I wish I would have found this forum last week.

Ok, after reading dozens of posts on this forum yesterday I now believe I've been misinformed and should stick with SWG. Is my water chemistry the main culprit in my under performance of my salt cells or bad product? My current plumbing doesn't have a check-valve or sacrificial anode so those should be added, correct? What about a VSP, do you think this investment is worth it? I'm leaning towards replacing it but unsure of which Pentair or Hayward to choose for my pool...recommendations?

You do know that SWGs have a finite life, right? Yours is 10000 hours, I believe. I did some very rough math, with some variables I had to guesstimate, but three years a cell is about right. You'd have to run an IC40 at 100% for 11 hours for your size pool, and that'd give you about 2.5 years. That's not counting the months that are too cold for SWG, which I can't calculate 'cause I don't know your area. You really need to use an IC60 next time. And it sounds like you've figured out that you can't run a pool with tabs, so I don't have to go there. Yes on a VS pump. It'll pay for itself in short order compared to that single speed. You'll want your SWG and your pump to be of the same brand should you ever decide to add automation. Others here will chime in about UV, but you're not going to like what they'll say.

Re: Should I reconsider my equipment purchases, options? UV & inline vs. SWG

We open our pool early around mid-April and try to close as late as possible, around early October. It's typically 60-65 here in late April/early-May and about the same in early October give or take. We heat the heck out of it to 87 and I like our water warm. We entertain a lot and have two teenagers so it's common to have 10-20 in our pool at least two days a week. I'm quickly learning that I didn't know nearly enough about our pool as I should. I've learned more about pool chemistry and equipment in the past week than in the last 10 years. I'm loving all this new-found knowledge and plan on being much more hand's on going forward. I'm new to automation too so I don't understand how that works but love the concept of selecting settings from my iPhone. So what would I need to run my Raypak digital heater and VSP?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, btw, I'm taking the UV system back...I'm a quick study and after all the posts quickly figured my money is better spent on a VSP. Thanks!

It sounds like you have above average bather load, which would also account for your SWGs longevity issues. It's pretty well documented here that buying and running SWGs cost about the same as manually dosing with liquid chlorine. So while you've gone through three SWGs, you likely would have spent about the same in chlorine. You just would have spent more time pouring it into your pool!

I don't imagine I'd be happy running my pool without my automation, now that I've been spoiled by it. So that's a vote for it. It's not cheap, but I love the convenience of it. There are others here better qualified to recommend automation and how to tie in equipment to it. I just know you'll want your controller, pump and SWG to all be of the same brand. The general rule of thumb is most controller brands can turn on and off most heater brands, but I can't speak specifically about the Raypak. Someone here will know, or if not, the manufacturer should.

Again, I'm obviously needing a lot more education on pool ownership and I'm kicking myself for not seeking information 10 years ago. It seems like a VSP is a major improvement in energy savings. I also like the benefit of running the pump at medium speeds during several hours during the day to generate chlorine and heat the pool then at minimum speed the rest of the day. ls there any reason for the VSP to be off during the season if the speeds cycle the water between 1-3 times/day? I like the initial idea of running it all day but assuming it's not optimal.

We should get our replacement Raypak 266EN heater in a few days and I plan on installing the 2" sacrificial anode soon if not at the same time. A close friend of mine is a licensed electrician and looked briefly at the old heater and said replacing the new one should be easy. I plan on reading up on the plumbing recommendations for both the VSP and heater. Am I fooling myself in assuming he should be able to replace my current 230V single speed pump with a new VSP? I guess my question is how confident should I feel after reading a bunch on how to install both pieces of equipment with an electrician? I will confirm he is a new pool owner with no pool equipment hookup experience with over 25 years experience in industrial work mostly. Thanks for the help!

Please return the UV system. It won't help with anything, it won't reduce the amount of chlorine you use (or need to maintain in the pool), it's just a waste of money. You can also return the chlorinator - solid chlorine pucks add CYA to the water, which causes you to need more and more chlorine to keep the pool sanitized and clear. Either use the SWG, or plan to add liquid chlorine by hand every day.

If you're going to automate, all of the equipment needs to be the same brand as the automation you're going to buy. There is no standard, so if you want to automate and your equipment is different brands, they're not going to talk to the automation unit like they need to.

Water cycles isn't a useful metric for your pump. You filter long enough that the pool is clean and clear and the SWG provides adequate chlorination. You may need to experiment with this a bit - I know many folks with a VSP that run it on low nearly constantly, with a high-speed cycle to allow the skimmer to go to work, run cleaners, etc. You'll want to determine at what speed the SWG will kick on, and then plan to run at at least that speed long enough to chlorinate the pool.

Check your local utility for rebates on VSP pumps. Mine gives $400. You will have to buy a pump that is on their list so do this before you purchase.

I have heard that sacrificial anodes are a waste of money. I remember the reasoning was something like they are so small as to be useless in a pool environment.

Pool turnover rate is old school. It has no bearing on pool cleanliness or anything else for that matter.

Be careful on equipment warranties. Much of it is only valid with "professional" installation. Not sure an electrician qualifies. That said, I would not hesitate to do it 100% myself but that is me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.