Should I raise salt level before replacing non-working SWG?

wheeler1

Bronze Supporter
Mar 29, 2022
San Rafael, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I need to replace a non-working Hayward T-15 SWG on our pool, which is new to us (bought the house ~6 months ago).
I'm working through my list of things that need to be done, and this is high on the list as we get closer to be able to use the pool.

Just got my TF test kit the other day and salt level seems to be around 1000 based on test strips.
If I replace the SWG, is that enough to raise the salt level on its own, or should I add salt directly to the pool to get the levels right first? The calculator says I'd need to add over 500 lbs of salt to get up to mid-3000s target in a 31k gallon pool.

Also, if anyone has suggestions on a replacement T-15 SWG, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Test strips are not a reliable way to check salt levels. If you're gonna replace the SWG, invest in the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit. You'll get a few years of use out of it.

Are you sure the T-15 is inoperable? Could it be a low salt issue?

Test strips are not a reliable way to check salt levels. If you're gonna replace the SWG, invest in the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit. You'll get a few years of use out of it.

Are you sure the T-15 is inoperable? Could it be a low salt issue?
Thanks, I figured as much re: the test strips. Now that I look back at TF test kits site, I could have bought the Taylor K-1776 in addition when I ordered my TF-100. I'll have to pick that up.

The Hayward controller shows "low salt" and "high amps" and seems to indicate that the SWG is not operating.
I have no idea how old it is, but I'm assuming it's dead. I hate to spend another $900, but it seems inevitable that it's going to need to be replaced sooner than later.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.