Should I let FC get to zero before draining into yard?

Rq120

May 3, 2019
Florida
I'm having a remodel starting July 1. We will be getting new tiles, coping, pavers, and plaster. We don't have a street drain so the pool will be drained to the back of our yard where there is a greenway. Our CYA is currently 140 so I have to keep the FC levels pretty high. I don't want to kill any grass, so do I need to let my FC get to zero before draining. I'm not sure how much FC grass can tolerate.
I guess it only matters the weekend before the remodel starts because my kids swim everyday. So it's a balance of keeping the pool sanitary and not killing any grass.

I don't I just drain away. Never drained the pool but in winter they drain 20% out. I looked up EPA regulations once just to be sure and they don't seem to care.

If it's going to flow to any body of water, then yes - the lower the FC before you drain the better. There are many areas that are now starting to regulate the water drained/backwashed from pools. As an example, where I previously lived - Lexington, SC, any water drained/backwashed that was not retained on your property had to be de-chlorinated before you did it. But, to show how up on the science they are, "salt" pools were exempt form this rule. One of the city workers told me this was because "salt" pools don't really use chlorine.....

The salt in your pool water is more of a threat to the plants than the chlorine. If you get little rain, the salt can build up and be an issue. If you gets lots of rain, it will be washed away.

Reactions: Rq120
Thanks everyone. From the replies I think I’ll let it come down a little, but not to zero. My goal FC with my chlorine level is 11-15 so I’ll let it come down from goal 1-2 days but not to zero.

Tim, the water will not go into another body. It will drain to the back of my yard where there is a slight ditch between our yard and an old golf tee box. But that’s an excellent consideration!

Reactions: tim5055
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.