Should I just let my heat pump run?

blk94f150

Mar 29, 2013
First season with the new build pool, 22k lagoon with 140k btu heat pump. Is it common practice to set the temp and just let it run 24/7? We will use it randomly and pretty frequently so an extra 50 to 100 per month to extend the season is no big deal but I'd like to not get hit with 300 or more extra on the power bill.

Where do you live?

Your pool has about 184K lb of water. Your 140K heat pump is not truly 140K (fine print) it is likely 140K BTU with water at 50F, air temp at 80F and humidity at 80%. Even at 140K BTU it would take around 1 hour 22 min to heat your pool 1F. Keep in mind that while you are heating it your water will lose heat to the environment.

Also 24/7 of the heat pump is actually 24/7 of heat pump plus pump. That can easily go ove 4
$400 depending on you electricity cost.

Couple more questions:

1. Where do you live (already asked)
2. Does the pool get sun?
3. What temp do you want the pool to be?
4. Do you have a solar cover?

To answer your question for the "most reasonable" set of circumstances:
assuming you have a solar cover and want the pool temp to be 5 degrees above what it would "normally" be then: yes. I would let it run all the time.

The real $$$ problems will be if you want to make it bathwater, if you don't have a solar cover, or if you want to heat it in the shoulder months: april-may, sept- onwards

I have a heat pump and it's smaller than your heat pump. I still don't run it 24/7. I lower the rpms on my pump at night so that the water flow is below what is required to keep the heat pump running. My pool only drops a few degrees at night because I use a solar cover.

Thanks for the replies. The good news is I'm in Kentucky and our power prices are fairly cheap. I want to keep it around 78 to 80 but realize this is going to cost me when it gets cold out. I also accept that I would use a solar cover a couple times and then throw it away. So basically, I'll just play it by ear with the weather and see how it goes!

Reactions: Lineman7
Thanks for the replies. The good news is I'm in Kentucky and our power prices are fairly cheap. I want to keep it around 78 to 80 but realize this is going to cost me when it gets cold out. I also accept that I would use a solar cover a couple times and then throw it away. So basically, I'll just play it by ear with the weather and see how it goes!
My math put me around 104kwh daily average for my 119,000btu Raypak HP and Jandy 2.7hp vsp running 24/7@ 2100rpm. I'm at .9kwh so that cost me $350 for the month of April to have my pool water 80-91degs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.