Feb 20, 2022
Aledo, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
First time pool owner here. I have a Jandy SWG with a 1.25 output and ~15k gallon pool. The water looks great (thanks TFP!), but my chlorine has been pretty low. Today it was 2.5 and I have been running it 10 hours at 85%. Pool gets a lot of sun and it’s super hot here (high today was 102). So, my questions are:
  • Should I increase the percentage or the run time?
  • Should I be concerned at the level of chlorine production?
Other stats from today’s test:
FC 2.5
pH 8.2 (I am not vigilant about testing this; added muriatic acid today)
CYA 70
TA 110 (coming down very slowly)
CH 500
Salt 3000

Thanks for your thoughts.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
Today it was 2.5 and I have been running it 10 hours at 85%.
That FC got too low for comfort. It's time to take some action. I would do the following:
1. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Be sure there is no chance algae is consuming the FC from an otherwise functional SWG. It happens.
2. Check the cell for scale. Since you admittedly allow the pH to rise a bit, scale on the cell is a real possibility and it will inhibit good FC production. If needed, consider an acid cleaning.
3. Do an overnight GAIN test. I'm doing one tonight as an example for my SWG. I'm going to test my FC at 10:00 PM, then adjust my SWG output to 100% for 7 hours which "should" produce about 3.9 ppm of FC according to the PoolMath APP for my pool. Yours will vary of course. At 5:00 AM I will test my new FC to see if I gained about 3.9 FC. If not, then I know I have a cell problem.

Other than doing the FC testing above, be sure to have some liquid chlorine handy to bump up the FC right away during the day if needed.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.