Should I be concerned with my FC so high?

May 28, 2010
A couple of days ago, I decided to shock my pool b/c my CC was a little high (my FC was about 10) So I added a large jug and a half of chlorine (the big yellow jugs) and that sent my FC soaring. My CYA is about 80 (I know, it's high). Today my CC is down to zero but my FC is 24. Should I be concerned about my chlorine levels remaining so high for so long?

Here's my complete readings:
FC - 24
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 260
CYA - 80

Some of us have had to keep the pool at or above shock level for a week or more with no reported ill effects to the pool. Just allow your FC to drop naturally and then keep it at the recommended levels. It should be fine.

zea3 said:
Just allow your FC to drop naturally and then keep it at the recommended levels. It should be fine.

I read in Pool School that you must add 2-3 ppm per day to keep a pool sanitized. So does that mean that I should expect it to take as much as a week for the FC to drop down to about 9 or 10 ppm (assuming all else remains the same)?

niceguymr said:
A couple of days ago, I decided to shock my pool b/c my CC was a little high (my FC was about 10) So I added a large jug and a half of chlorine (the big yellow jugs) and that sent my FC soaring....
One of the tenants of the TFP method is to not add something without knowing what it will do. In this case you did no harm, but make sure in the future that you don't blindly add things to your pool. Use Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my signature). Once you get it set up with your pool's specifics it is a simple matter to enter a current and target value for any parameter and it will tell you how much of a certain chemical to add to reach that target. No guessing necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.