Should I add Salt before getting rid of Algae?

jpower

Sep 22, 2007
New Jersey USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We just opened our pool and added a Salt Generator which we have not turned on yet. I believe we have an algae (yellow) problem since we cannot get our chlorine levels above 0. I'm planning on "slamming" the pool. Should we add the salt to the pool and turn on the salt generator before slamming, or wait until the algae is gone and then turn it on? Any thoughts out there?

This is the first time we are "slamming" and are nervous. Is it true that we should add chlorine every hour? Do we do this until we start getting chlorine readings?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Julie

35,000 Gal. Concrete

Chlorine: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 81
CH: 200
CA: 57

Nice to meet you via TFP. Good to have you here :)

The salt won't make any difference for the SLAM

The SWG won't bring chlorine level up very well, and it can become confusing during a SLAM, so just use chlorinating liquid or bleach for the SLAM.

On the first day, topping it up every hour can help speed up a SLAM, but should definitely be done until FC is holding. After that 3 or 4 times a day works fine, although more often can be better. For many people all they can manage is before work, after work and before bed. Sometimes they'll go home at lunch, or just have a pre-measured amount for someone else to add. Those methods all work.

From the questions you're asking, it sounds like you've done your homework, so don't be nervous. You got this!

If you haven't added the FC yet, adjust your pH down to 7.2 first

You can add the salt if you like but we suggest you don't use the SWG while slamming. You don't want the SWG to skew your testing/chemical addition numbers especially when you get to the end and preform the OCLT.

Yes you should add and test regularly until you can get the FC to Hold at SLAM level. It will burn through chlorine rapidly at first and slow as you start to win the battle.

Edit: Needsajet types faster than I do ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.