Should I add a SWG??

Okay, got it...for my pool, 1 pound of chlorine gas, according to pool math, increased TC by 6.0....so I'd need about .5 lbs of chlorine gas per day....

Pool Math also says 1 lb of chlorine gas LOWERS pH by .5

I was under the impression with a SWG the pH creeps UP moreso than with liquid chlorine....am i wrong on that? I read all the time how SWG peeps add muratic acid regularly.
It does.. it's a side effect of the electrolysis process I believe. Its not the same as throwing a bubbler in the bottom of the pool and adding 1.25 pounds of chlorine gas all at once.

I have a two speed pump, which I run right now from 10am to 8pm (about equally split between high and low)...will that need to change considerably?

If a SWG says it produces 1.25 lbs per day, what does that mean? How much FC is that?

If the low speed on your pump provides enough flow for the SWCG to turn on, then it will generate chlorine whenever the pump is on. If that's the case you might be able to reduce the time you are running it on HIGH and increase the time on LOW to save on electricity. In fact, you can probably do that even without an SWCG if skimming is still acceptable to you for a shorter time on HIGH.

Regarding SWG output:
In the "Effects of Adding" section of the PoolMath app, switch your chemical to SWG and enter the pounds of chlorine per day for your SWG in "24 Hour SWG Output". From there you can calculate FC generated, SWG Cell % or Pump Run Time.

I have read that as a rule of thumb, one gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine is approximately equal to 1 pound of chlorine gas as far as FC goes. If that is correct, the SWG that produces 1.25 lb/day is approximately equivalent to adding 1.25 gal of liquid chlorine per day. That assumes it's running at 100% output for 24 hours.

Here's the link to that rule of thumb:
Chlorine Gas vs. Bleach

I think you've probably already decided to go SWG, but let me just add my thumbs up. 9 years with ours and only this season have I begun to possibly have a sensor issue. It was hands down the best investment I made in our pool (robot cleaner is #2). Once it is up and running in the spring I really do very little other than check chemicals (probably too infrequently) and run the bot. Occasionally I have a bit of algae, and a couple of seasons I've had to do a SLAM to get things straightened out.

pH has not been an issue, nor has corrosion. The only minor problems have been with the sockets in the concrete deck that the ladder and hand railing plug into. The drain holes in them were not properly opened up and so water would sit in there. I think the salt helped a chemical reaction that built up deposits making it hard to remove the ladders each season. Now that I've drilled them out, no big deal.

Would definitely do it again without a second thought.

I just built a pool this year and went SWG.
Our first swimming day was memorial. Over the first week I tested the pump speed and SWG to figure out the right number. Since they I havent touched it. I havent added another chemical , I literally havent touched the pool in 2 months. Go for it.

Looks like there are two Jandy options.

PLC1400

and

Truclear Saltwater Generator

I can't tell which is the best or newest option from the websites I've visited. PLC1400 good for up to 40k gallons (good since my pool is 20k). Truclear says good up to 35k.

I THINK both would work with iAquaLink, but I'm not certain.

My head is swimming....I want to do this but honestly need some feedback from someone with experience with Jandy, making sure it works with iAquaLink, making sure I order the right kit or parts, etc.

I left a msg for two pool builders to ask about having it installed, and to ask above questions...but I don't trust that they actually know because in my market they push ozone. I went by Leslies (ugh) to see if they sell them, and the guy working was clueless on equipment...he did look in their book and it appears they would charge about $300 to install a Jandy system.

Help! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cody - We are building and a few weeks away from equipment. While we are getting Pentair equipment, I can ask our installers if they do Jandy and get their info for you.

Also - I've never stepped foot in it, but have you tried Pinch a Penny Pools on Custer? Online they have Jandy SWGs.

Looks like there are two Jandy options.

PLC1400

and

Truclear Saltwater Generator

I can't tell which is the best or newest option from the websites I've visited. PLC1400 good for up to 40k gallons (good since my pool is 20k). Truclear says good up to 35k.

I THINK both would work with iAquaLink, but I'm not certain.

My head is swimming....I want to do this but honestly need some feedback from someone with experience with Jandy, making sure it works with iAquaLink, making sure I order the right kit or parts, etc.

I left a msg for two pool builders to ask about having it installed, and to ask above questions...but I don't trust that they actually know because in my market they push ozone. I went by Leslies (ugh) to see if they sell them, and the guy working was clueless on equipment...he did look in their book and it appears they would charge about $300 to install a Jandy system.

Help! :)
Our PB did not install our SWG. He had a pool service company do it. So, you might check with one of them... ASP was th name here American Swimming Pools (probably just local co.)

Ours has been on a week. I've had to up it from the 20% he set it at and add liquid chlorine until I figured that out. ?‍♀️

I have a newly installed Jandy PLC1400, so I can't give you an opinion on it yet because my pool isn't finished. I can tell you it will work with iaqualink if desired. My PB is a zodiac pro edge dealer. If you go to the zodiac website you can go to 'find a dealer' to find companies in your area and get some quotes.

Just another note on travertine. I had a mountain of it from losing control at an auction (so yes it's everywhere here). When it came time to re plaster the pool I used it for the water line since my contractor had no experience upon which to discourage me. After 13 years it's a bit coarse to the touch (kind of like sandpaper) and there are places where the filler has leached out, but over all it still looks fine...and I had tenants in here for half those years !!

Cody - We are building and a few weeks away from equipment. While we are getting Pentair equipment, I can ask our installers if they do Jandy and get their info for you.

Also - I've never stepped foot in it, but have you tried Pinch a Penny Pools on Custer? Online they have Jandy SWGs.

Went by Pinch a Penny in McKinney today. I've been in there before to get liquid chlorine. I've told the owner before I was happy to see that they have fresh liquid 10% because I follow the TFP method. He acted like he knew what I was talking about, but pretty sure he really didn't.

Owner was working again so I asked if they sell and install SWG. His reply "well, we CAN do it". I asked why he phrased it that way and he said....."well, you'll still have to use pucks in the Winter". I told him I chlorinate with liquid chlorine only to avoid the rise in CYA and he just raised his eyebrows. Then he asked what type of coping I have. I told him travertine. He told me the salt would destroy the travertine and he had seen it many times (in pools he has maintained). At that point I decided to just thank him and leave....didn't have time for a long conversation.

So...that option is off the table. I'm certainly not going to pay someone to install something and listen to them tell me what a mistake it is through the process.

Ugh.

I'm following this thread because I have a 10yo Jandy Aquapure that I'm looking to replace. TBH I've had nothing but trouble with the sensors and cells failing. Right now I'm not even running it and using liquid chlorine. Shopping around to see what system will integrate with the existing Jandy control system. If anyone has insight on my issue, I'd appreciate it. BTW, also in the DFW area.

I'm following this thread because I have a 10yo Jandy Aquapure that I'm looking to replace. TBH I've had nothing but trouble with the sensors and cells failing. Right now I'm not even running it and using liquid chlorine. Shopping around to see what system will integrate with the existing Jandy control system. If anyone has insight on my issue, I'd appreciate it. BTW, also in the DFW area.

I've left two messages today with my pool builder, and also with ASP. I talked to a lady from Pool Scouts in McKinney who says they could install and asked me to send her pics of my plumbing (insert joke here), so I did. No word back from her on price and no call back yet from the other two. I'm assuming I'll be going with Jandy PLC 1400 unless someone says that's the wrong choice.

I think that the issue that SWG causes corrosion is that SWG causes people to think that it's a set it and forget it kind of thing, and the out of check pH and other parameters cause damage.
I think what I understand from the read here in the forum is, when the Cya level is up there 70-80 and maintained to that level then the corrosivness is not more than a normal chlorine pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.