Should I add a skimmer?

Gflande1

Jul 11, 2019
Syracuse, New York
We are in the process of renovating our pool. Its 16x32 vinyl with one main drain, one skimmer and 3 returns. I read online that its suggested to have one skimmer for every 400 sq ft., which means for our size, 512 sq ft, we should have two.

Should I have my pool guy install a second one? Everything has been running well with just the one, and we are upgrading the skimmer plumbing to 2 inches, so I hope we are fine. I am sure this is normal, but I feel like we are hemorrhaging money with this project (still under budget, but its still worrisome). If we did, I think we would probably abandon the main drain (30 year old flex pipe).

Thank you
Glen

Glen,

I have three pools.. My pool has two skimmers and two rent house pools only have one skimmer... I 'like' having two skimmers, but the pool's with one skimmer, seem to work just fine.. It is hard to tell the difference.

If anything, I'd add a 4th return. For me, have the returns make the pool water swirl, like a flushing toilet bowel, and moving the debris past the skimmer(s) works the best.

Also, having a working weir door in the skimmer(s) is a requirement if you want the skimmer to "skim".

Thanks,

Jim R.

Glen,

I have three pools.. My pool has two skimmers and two rent house pools only have one skimmer... I 'like' having two skimmers, but the pool's with one skimmer, seem to work just fine.. It is hard to tell the difference.

If anything, I'd add a 4th return. For me, have the returns make the pool water swirl, like a flushing toilet bowel, and moving the debris past the skimmer(s) works the best.

Also, having a working weir door in the skimmer(s) is a requirement if you want the skimmer to "skim".

Thanks,

Jim R.
I appreciate the response. The existing skimmer is getting replaced, so I should be good to go there. I will find out how much an additional return will be, I have 3, but should have mentioned that 1 of them is on the stairs. Doesn't seem like it does much other than keep the stairs debris free. I do have a few areas in the pool that would benefit from an additional return.

I don't mind spending the money, it just feels like every turn we take it costs me 1k. Just want this project to end. lol

Thank you

Reactions: Jimrahbe