Should a pump feel hot to the touch?

Kev68ss

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Been a few years since I owned a pool. I forgot if a pump is supposed to feel hot to the touch? It also has a little smell to it, figured becasue it is brand new- runs very quiet, but feels hot?? It is a dual spd 1.5 hp Hayward- wired to 240v with #12 wire on a 20amp breaker

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
It should feel hot but you shouldn't be able to cook eggs on it. Roughly 130-150 is okay anything near 200 is bad. Check near theback vents of the motor you should feel a good breeze of air. It shouldn't have a smell though,especially a burning smell

Kev68ss

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Thanks- it's not a burning smell. More of a "new" smell- like it's just getting used for the first time- it's not an electrical burning smell- hard to 'splain

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
The rule of thumb is, that if you can force yourself to hold your hand on it for 8 seconds it's less than 150ºF. I'm not advocating trying this I have used it a lot in the past.

Kev68ss

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Well I have rewired the pump with #10 wire, instead of #12 to see if that was causing the pump to turn off as it pulls amps- same thing, low speed runs all night/day, high speed runs for about 20 min then shuts off. Pump gets very hot, which the tech guy at Hayward said it would. I can't hold my hand on it for more than 2 seconds. Low spped, not hot at all. I am going to try to get the temp off of it next. This sucks, it's brand spankin new.:grrrr:

ShockerLU3

Jun 27, 2010
Toms River, NJ
Three stupid questions: Are you getting the proper voltage at the receptacle? Was the cord wired correctly to the new pump? Are all screw type terminals tightened properly?