Should 10% Sodium Hypochlorate liquid smell like bleach?

Jul 1, 2017
Houston
I am working on startup of an intex style 18'x52" above ground pool. I bought 4 cases of HDX chlorine at Home Depot. The first case I opened, chosen randomly, seemed to work fine. Then I added another cases in and it seemed like not much happened. So started to add in the third case, and while was doing it I noticed that there was basically no chlorine smell from 2 of the bottles (after I poured the first bottle obliviously). That's not been my experience in the past. So I held on to the last case.

I took the last case back to Home Depot and asked them to check out the bottles. They didn't smell anything on any of the 3 bottles. So I explained what had happened and I got a refund on all 4 cases, with the idea that I would buy more, but only if I checked them out, did a smell test, in the store with staff.

There was very little chlorine smell in any 4 test bottles from 4 cases. The dates ranged from very late 2018 to even up in to May 2019 if I was reading the date code right. I was afraid to buy any more cases from Home Depot and moved on to Walmart.

Of course the first Walmart did not have any in stock as it said they did online. At the Second Walmart (now 2 hours after I left for Home Depot) I expressed my concern to staff about the chlorine and was allowed to do a smell test. There Was no bleach smell. I didn't purchase. I need some chlorine!

Am I wrong? It's been my experience these probably at least 8 years that liquid sodium hypochlorate is pretty strong smelling. Has something changed? I searched the forum and found threads stating that it should indeed smell like bleach. Is it possible that everyone around is getting bad batches (possibly from the same manufacturer, or am I missing something?

Yes, you should get a chlorine bleach smell.

Checking the date codes is important. Any liquid chlorine over 3 months old is suspect. For many non pool uses people would never notice it is not full strength.

Reactions: Concorde
It should smell like bleach because it is bleach. But that isn't a strong smell unless it interacts with something so smell isn't necessity a good test.

Unlikely it was manufactured wrong.

So it boils down to how old, and how it was stored. 10% can become 3% pretty fast if stored in the hot sun all day. Find a source that has fresh supply (3 months or less, preferably weeks) and stores out of the sun at room temperature or colder.

My brother went to HD and found date codes of 2016!!! Although most were 2018. Some 2019. They store it in a hot warehouse. Useless. He went elsewhere. Lol

So was I right to take the case back and ask for a refund?? I really need to get more as I am not done with the cleanup obviously. Would one trust the 19 128 case?? Should I give it another go?

Is it possible that 10% Sodium Hypochlorate would not not smell very strongly like bleach? I've now had the idea that if it is really clean and pure then there would be no combined chlorine ... that it's the CC that makes the strong smell? Is that why I can't smell bleach? WWPJD?

I would trust the date codes and look at how it was stored. Thats the best you can do.

The plan is to get out the test kit and see exactly where things are at, get some more bleach, and see exactly what happens after I add what should bring it up to 30. I haven't taken out my TFT kit yet, as it's been stored, and I may need to get fresh chemicals (sort of why I didn't get it out in the first place). Thanks for the info everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could take a small amount of it and water it down using measured amounts of tapwater and test the FC in it. :)

It's something I'm considering once I'm sure my test chemicals are OK. I'm searching the spare bedroom ("storage room") for the test kit now. I have a small leak in the pool that I need to have clearer water to be able to fix. I'm also searching for my face mask. Sigh.

Do not buy any liquid chlorine from a hardware store that stores it in the hot, sunny garden center. The heat and sun have taken a toll on the strength over time. Also check the production dates on the jugs. Recent (3 months) production is what you want. Check with pool stores to see if they sell liquid chlorine? And also animal feed type stores might have it too. Where ever is most convenient and least costly.

Maddie :flower:

OK my reality, not opinion.........I buy a good amount of 10% HDX from Home D and have for over two years now with no detectable loss of FC. It gets hot here and yes it is stored in the garden department along an east facing wall in the shade and I always check the date codes and it is always within 3 months. No issues, not once. I'm certain if I detected any loss of active or even believed so, I could get a full return without question. I also store my Cl at home, outside in the shade and it may take up to 3-4 weeks to use up my supply.

My opinion shop around for the best deal, learn to read the batch date codes. I use 10% as it appears from the charts I've seen to be a bit more stable that 12%. Finally use your test kit to confirm your calculated, expected and actual results. If the chlorine is bad and your pool is clean you will know in 61 minutes. One or two pool water tests on a new batch should reveal any surprises and keep you safe from the algae man.

Now I want to research the prospect of a 50 gallon drum delivered and storing it at least partially it in the ground. I know some members are doing it. I need to run the numbers.

10% chlorine stored at 90°F will be 5% in about 3 months.
Then I'm glad I got my money back. Shame on Home Depot. It's been getting in the 90's for a month now, and right up to that for two. I did have to go pick up some 19 102 at Walmart today, 3 jugs, because I have a job 2 do. But this is kinda a scam, these bleach sales, isn't it? You wouldn't get away with selling a watermellon that was 1/4 eaten. Especially full price.

10% chlorine stored at 90°F will be 5% in about 3 months.

I suppose we could ask for transport and storage temp logs.
Temps fluctuate in 24 hours.
The half life chart I've viewed lists the following for 10%.
3.8 months at a sustained 90f
5.5 months at 85f
8 months at 80f.
significantly higher degradation rates at high %s

With all the importance placed upon proper pool water testing why guess and worry about it?
Test and verify. If it does not do the job as expected return it and check somewhere else.

• Love
I suppose we could ask for transport and storage temp logs.
Temps fluctuate in 24 hours.
The half life chart I've viewed lists the following for 10%.
3.8 months at a sustained 90f
5.5 months at 85f
8 months at 80f.
significantly higher degradation rates at high %s

With all the importance placed upon proper pool water testing why guess and worry about it?
Test and verify. If it does not do the job as expected return it and check somewhere else.
So I have my test kits in hand and begun actual testing today. I had added 3 gallons last night, just because I knew it would eat it up. Tonight I tested and have FC of 6 and CC of 1.5. After a quick and lazy add of 2 gallons of 19 128 10% from HD that I picked up today, trusting little lamb I am (not by choice, gotta have it) I have an FC of 35 and a CC of 1.5 shortly after. CYA is enough to be at 50, although I haven't tested it yet. I suspect even the 19 128 was a little weakened, but not by much, as I would expect 40 instead of 35 at full 10% strength. So all is good.

Your advice is basically spot on, you have to go by the tests and nothing else. I just don't like paying for something I didn't get. HD came through in this batch though, and probably the first case of the other batch. Not sure about Wally Worlds batch from last night ...

Thanks for the excellent info. It's probably info that should be front and center somewhere in case there are others like me that panic on such simple things.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.