Shocking, Day 3

Mar 22, 2008
I was a little confused about shocking previously and so I think my problem got a little out of hand. I assumed if CC was 0 that there was no problems in the water, that is not true because I was losing 7-8ppm overnight of chlorine.

I started shocking 2 days ago and STILL not able to hold my chlorine. Is this normal to take this long?

FC 12
CC 0
pH 7.2
CYA 50

My procedure has been bring to 16ppm at about 6:00 when I get home, check every hour until midnight adding chlorine to bring to 16ppm, the last chlorine I put in I usually bring to about 20ppm. Then test in the morning, bring to 20ppm head to work and start the process over again at about 6:00.

Today is day 3 and I have been unable to hold the chlorine yet. Last night I lost 8ppm. Pump is running, pool looks very clear and sparkly, have been brushing.

Should I just keep going on this process until chlorine holds?

The short answer is "yes". Simply, you still have organics in your pool so you have to keep after them with chlorine 'til they're gone.

Puzzling that your consumption hasn't diminished after three days but you have no choice but to stay the course. (The Clorox folks all purchased new cars after my pool clearing this Spring.....sounds like they might get a speedboat out of your situation :shock: :shock: )

I have noticed that the pressure in my filters has risen about 3psi in the last couple of weeks, so overall it is 3 above normal, I cleaned cartridges early in March, would I need to clean them now? would it help this issue?

Day 5

Well we are still going at it. I thought it was fixed last night. When I got home from work it was at 9ppm so I added to bring to 16ppm again and it held from 6:00pm to midnight when I went to bed, I might have made one mistake and that I turned off the pump because I thought I beat it.

Woke up this morning checked FC at it was 14, so not too bad, but CC was 2! That is the highest CC since I started this. So I brought back up and will keep going today.

I sure hope I am almost done. the problem is it is too hard to tell during the day what it is during because of regular clrine loss and it is 108 and sunny today.

What would hapen if I brought it up to 27ppm whihc is the mustard algae shock for 50 CYA?

Water is crystal clear, BUT 2-3 weeks ago I had yellow algae on the sides, thought I had shocked but didn't do it right since this is the first time I was doing it. Now after racking my brain on chlorine loss I figured out I had organics and have been shocking for 5 days now at 16ppm with a CYA of 50.

I had thought previously that if CC was .5 or less you didn't need to shock and that is what it has been forever.

Well, I really like chem geeks criteria for clearing a pool.

The process is complete when:

1. You lose 1.0ppm or less of FC overnight

2. CC's are .5ppm or less

3. Your water is crystal clear

It sounds like you are getting close but I would like to see your FC a little higher. With a CYA of 50 you should be at 20 or so. I'd go ahead and boost it on up and then HOLD IT UP THERE until you meet the criteria above. Lower FC levels only slows the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.