Shocking a small pool

MandaL

Jun 6, 2021
Eugene, Or
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi! I have a small above ground pool- 15X42 inch Bestway Steel Pro Max. I use a 3" chlorine tablet (Clorox brand) in a floater but have not shocked the pool yet. It's been up for a little over a week with minimal use. I clean debris out daily and run the pump for at least 8 hours a day. My main question is, would it be ok to use the Clorox Shock Xtra Blue to shock it this time and the HTH Super Shock another time and switch back if needed. I realize the Clorox is Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate and the HTH is calcium hypochlorite but I'm having to purchase what I can find as pool supplies are in high demand and I am not allowed a preference. Will this be ok? I'm having a difficult time locating info on small pools and not sure if I can switch between the two chemical or not. If not, is bleach a safe alternative to shocking a pool?? Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Welcome to TFP!

How are you testing your water?

Why do you need to shock the pool?

You can add whatever you want to the pool, just make sure you know what it is and what you current chemical levels are at. e.g. if you are low on calcium, no problem with adding Cal Hypo.

The Clorox stuff (especially the stuff with "blue" in the name) almost always has something you don't want in your pool. The Clorox Shock Xtra Blue you have has copper in it, which you don't want in your pool. If it's all you have I suppose you could use it, but I would only use it as a last resort. Also make sure not to mix the 2.

Bleach is fine to shock a pool, just make sure you get the plain bleach (which means no Clorox).

Thank you for the info. I do test the water-daily with Clorox “smart strips”-product brand and supplies are so limited I went with what the store had available. I’ve become somewhat obsessed with water testing to get the “sweet” ideal chlorine level! From what I’ve read, shocking appears to be necessary on a weekly basis-or is that only for larger pools? I really have no idea. I’m so new to this! The pool will only be up for another two months or so. Is it possible I can avoid shocking it? Also, what is the negative effect of copper?
I will be taking a 6 day vacation. I will leave the floater with a tablet in it in the pool with the pool covered and no filter running for 6 days. Should I shock it when I return?

Welcome to TFP! Since you will be on vacation for a week you can take the time to memorize the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry! (it's in Pool School.) When you return you will know how to continue treating the pool. Size of the pool doesn't matter, it's all water chemistry. Size will determine amount of chemicals to use, Pool School will educate you as to what NOT to use. The negative effect of copper is GREEN HAIR! As well as nails, bathing suits and everything else that comes into contact with the oxidized copper. I've not been impressed with the Clorox products of late, though that seems to be the only choice at times. If you order your TFT100 test kit (with speed stir) before you leave, it should be on the way to you when you return. "Guess strips" don't work for accurate testing and accurate testing is required for a clean, clear, sparkling TFP pool. Have fun!

Glad you are here! Start reading the articles in the Pool School section. Start with these:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
Test Kits Compared

Pool stores love to sell you anything and everything. Weekly shocking is not needed if you keep the recommended chlorine levels and your pool is crystal clear. They also add things to their products (like the copper) that you really don't want in your pool, and then they will happily sell you some products to deal with the staining it causes and others to help you remove it.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.