Shock or not?

duraleigh said:
Doug,

1. Your pump should run 24/7 until your pool is clear....the thread has gotten confusing but I don't think your pool is clear.

2. You can only perform the overnight FC loss test if you turn OFF the SWG....Read how in pool school.

3. Because you are (I think) still experienceing an overnight FC loss of more than .5ppm, you have not finished shocking your pool.

Run your FC to 30 (Your CYA is still 80, right?) hold your FC at 30 until the pool is crystal clear, run your pump 24/7, backwash/clean your filter as needed.

Shocking and getting your pool crystal clear is all about killing and cleaning.....killing all theorganics in your pool (not done yet) and then cleaning up and filtering out the "carcasses".

1. Sorry the thread has gotten confusing. I apologize. I DID run the pump 24/7 while I was shocking. i did not turn my pump off until I had 0 FC loss overnight. At that point I turned the system back on auto and ran it for 8 hours/day. My reference to 8 hours was previous to algae and what I had set the timer for on a normal run day.

2. I understand that a chlorine drop test must have the SWG off. I have been completing my tests just this way.

3. I agree with you. I have already begun shocking again.

What you just described by holding FC at 30 and killing and cleaning, etc is exactly what I did the first time around. It's got to be close because the pool is still clear today. Hopefully this won't take too long.

Doug

So I've continued to shock over the entire weekend. I will perform the drop test tonight and see what I find, but during the day, I feel like the chlorine demand is still very high.

I added bleach this morning at 10AM and tested at 11:30AM. The FC was 35. I retested at 8:00PM and the FC was now 26. Say the drop test comes back fine tonight, doesn't that appear to be a lot of chlorine consumption for one day? My pool sees sun almost the entire day. Not until about 6 - 7PM does the sun finally go over the trees where it's not directly shining on the pool.

Doug

Ha. So I do some more thinking... What are the ways FC is used up?

1. Organics
2. Sun
3. Low CYA

Low and behold I test CYA and it's 50-55 now. I checked my log and the last time I checked CYA was 3 weeks ago. Within 3 weeks it dropped about 30ppm. My guess is that from all the refills we've been doing (evaporation) it's dilluted it quite a bit.

I will bring CYA up to 80-90 and go from there and perform the drop test tonight.

Doug

that much of a loss during the day sounds normal to me....kinda strange explanation but when you are shocking it's not unusual to still see a loss of up to 50% from the sunlight. That's why we recommend an overnight loss test, to take the sun out of the equasion.

Evaporation doesn't cause the CYA to drop. Splash out and water replacement do. But when it evaporates, the level just becomes more concentrated. Then when you add more water, the level dilutes a bit. But evaporation wouldn't explain your level change.

What time of day are you running the filter?

frustratedpoolmom said:
that much of a loss during the day sounds normal to me....kinda strange explanation but when you are shocking it's not unusual to still see a loss of up to 50% from the sunlight. That's why we recommend an overnight loss test, to take the sun out of the equasion.

Evaporation doesn't cause the CYA to drop. Splash out and water replacement do. But when it evaporates, the level just becomes more concentrated. Then when you add more water, the level dilutes a bit. But evaporation wouldn't explain your level change.

What time of day are you running the filter?

Well I added more CYA tonight. Hopefully that will slow things down. I will perform the drop test tonight. Wish me luck! lol

When the pool was in check (not shocking), I was running the filter from 8-5PM.

Doug

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.