Shock and FC and LC

So far so good this year, thanks to you wonderful people, using LC instead of the tabs I've used for the past ten years. My question is what is the point of shocking if I'm essentially throwing in LC every day? I'm maintaining FC between 7 and 9, as per the corresponding CYA. I would have assumed that shocking is to go after the CC but if the CC hasn't gone above 0, is it a waste of time? There are no signs of algae or any other problem.

Thanks!

Chris

My question is what is the point of shocking if I'm essentially throwing in LC every day? I'm maintaining FC between 7 and 9, as per the corresponding CYA.

Because the boat payment of the pool store owner is paid from the extra stuff they sell you. If you don't buy a bunch of little bags of shock and maybe some floculant how are they making that payment next month.....

I will take the slightly less cynical route than Tim (which is incredibly rare, trust me) and say that the weekly shock is because companies are well aware that the average pool owner is not going to properly maintain their pool. A weekly shock helps get the chlorine levels up temporarily and reduce problems overall. It's one way the industry has tried to simplify things, "this 4-step system is all you need!", when pool chemistry is just not one-size-fits-all. A pool is a mostly stagnant body of water that is being kept sanitary, that's something that should be monitored and cared for better than the average person does.

Luckily, TFPC is all about monitoring and caring for a pool. It's an one-system-fits-all approach, where the chemistry of every pool is different but the system accounts for that. No blindly adding things weekly whether they are needed or not, just regular testing and dosing and keeping the water clean, clear, comfortable, and safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.