Sheer descent waterfall leaking

nickcasa75

Mar 18, 2023
orlando fl
Hi all, hoping someone can help me. Just bought a house in Orlando, fl and noticed water coming from just under the pvc pipe which is the conduit for the light under the waterfall. the red scribble shows where the water is coming from. So my question is, can the waterfall be removed from the front and and re-plumbed? it seems the supply side from the back of the pool is sleeved. i'm learning all of this stuff real fast so please forgive me if i mis-spoke.

Attachments

• IMG_8438.jpg
    IMG_8438.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 235121.png
    235121.png
    425.9 KB · Views: 29
Thinking about this in a different light. Since the amount of water leaking out is not that great, I'm wondering if the light below the sheer just needs to be re-sealed. When the sheer's are not turned on, a small amount of water still comes out of them and flows down the tile wall where the light is underneath. If the sheer plumbing was leaking, I'd have water coming from its penetration point in the concrete and alot of it as they are 2" lines. Thoughts?

In another post, I had water leaking from my water feature. I suspected it was the light, and I was right. I touched it and the whole thing fell out. So all I have is a conduit for the wire to go thru. Seems the old owner had a 12v transformer hooked up. Any suggestions on where to find something like this?

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    78.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    117.6 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new FL pool.

This pic is looking at the back wall of your waterfall outside the cage?

It looks to me like there is a pipe right above where you have the red scribble as the leak. See the blue circle. Is that the conduit for the light? I don't see wires in the conduit.

You cannot pull the waterfall out from the front.

Where is the valve that turns the waterfall on and off? If the valve for the waterfall is by your pool pad then there should be no flow to leak out when the waterfall is off.

If water is leaking out of the light conduit it is more likely that water is getting into the light niche.

What model light are we discussing?

Water does not travel uphill. Where is the light relative to the waterline and what level is the conduit?

Orlando.jpg

Thanks for replying. I was just about to update this thread. I actually posted another one about the light in another group. Anyways, the light completely fell apart when I touched it. there were no wiring going to it. When the descent was on low flow, it would drip down the tile wall and into the conduit for the light wiring. So disaster avoided, thank God! I have no idea what model the lights are, they were on the pool when I bought the house.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on your new FL pool.

This pic is looking at the back wall of your waterfall outside the cage?

It looks to me like there is a pipe right above where you have the red scribble as the leak. See the blue circle. Is that the conduit for the light? I don't see wires in the conduit.

You cannot pull the waterfall out from the front.

Where is the valve that turns the waterfall on and off? If the valve for the waterfall is by your pool pad then there should be no flow to leak out when the waterfall is off.

If water is leaking out of the light conduit it is more likely that water is getting into the light niche.

What model light are we discussing?

Water does not travel uphill. Where is the light relative to the waterline and what level is the conduit?

View attachment 477735

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    78.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    117.6 KB · Views: 5
Just need to find new lights now since these are 20 years old and trash. Got any sites with some ideas that'll work for my application?
Need to see what you have of the old lights and the size of the niche it needs to fit into.

Is there wiring to connect the light?

I have never seen a pool light like that from any of the major pool equipment companies.

I wonder if that light is listed for pool applications.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have never seen a pool light like that from any of the major pool equipment companies.

I wonder if that light is listed for pool applications.
its entirely possible it is not, i just bought the house. prior owner could have done anything, who knows. there was a 12v transformer connected to one of the other "lights" i have no problem replacing them with something new. can you recommend a site that would sell something? as you can see, i just have a 1/2" conduit for the wire in the middle of a tile.

So … elephant on the room … is that pipe with the black plumbers tape around it supplying the water to the sheer descents ?? I guess I’m just confused as to what I’m looking at.

But that light is not a pool light. Someone just tried to do a cheap and quick light on that wall. That’s not a code-compliant installation at all and very dangerous if that light was not hooked up to a GFCI protected power source.

I suggest getting rid of it entirely. Pool lighting has very specific code requirements.

So … elephant on the room … is that pipe with the black plumbers tape around it supplying the water to the sheer descents ??
yes it is, but it is not leaking at all. i did confirm the plastic light cover was barely hanging on with some old silicone and thats where the leak was coming from. i turned on that waterfall full blast for a few mins and there was no leak. now i just need to close up the 1/2" inch conduit with a proper light.

yes it is, but it is not leaking at all. i did confirm the plastic light cover was barely hanging on with some old silicone and thats where the leak was coming from. i turned on that waterfall full blast for a few mins and there was no leak. now i just need to close up the 1/2" inch conduit with a proper light.

Ok. But even that is clearly an improperly plumbed connection that will eventually fail. A taped pipe is a leak waiting to happen. It looks like the previous owner did a lot of slap-dash fix-it-upper work to get the pool working for a sale. How that ever got by any reasonable inspector is beyond me.

Anyway, that pipe at some point needs to be properly replumbed. It requires removing all that tape and ensuring that there is a properly glued PVC to PVC connection there.

That light hole is not a standard size light niche.

The easiest thing is to fill the hole and forget about having a light there.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Ok. But even that is clearly an improperly plumbed connection that will eventually fail. A taped pipe is a leak waiting to happen. It looks like the previous owner did a lot of slap-dash fix-it-upper work to get the pool working for a sale. How that ever got by any reasonable inspector is beyond me.

Anyway, that pipe at some point needs to be properly replumbed. It requires removing all that tape and ensuring that there is a properly glued PVC to PVC connection there.
i completely agree and it's on the list. it seems there is a pvc sleeve, then a flex pvc sleeve, then a pvc pipe that connects to the main pipe with the black tape. need to cut back the flex pvc to get a coupler glued on very well and then back to the main pipe

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
That light hole is not a standard size light niche.

The easiest thing is to fill the hole and forget about having a light there.
i agree, makes sense. perhaps the former owner just drilled a 1/2" pipe for a mickey mouse light trick. i think i'm going to get a piece of file and cover it up decoratively till its time for new gunite and water line tile. can you recommend what adhesive to use for a piece of tile.

i agree, makes sense. perhaps the former owner just drilled a 1/2" pipe for a mickey mouse light trick. i think i'm going to get a piece of file and cover it up decoratively till its time for new gunite and water line tile. can you recommend what adhesive to use for a piece of tile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.