Sheer Descent Help

Noli

May 17, 2018
Frederick/MD
Had a company come out to replace my sheer descent due to a cracked joint. Unfortunately, they do not do masonry. Can someone help with providing info on the proper method for performing this repair/rebuild so that I know I've found the right person/company?
  • What material(s) should be used (mortar, concrete, other?) and where?
  • What should be in between the top of the sheer descent and the flagstone that will sit on top of it.
  • Any other tips, etc??
I've attached a few pictures to help describe my situation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Post_IMG_6156.jpg
    Post_IMG_6156.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 15
  • During_101.JPG
    During_101.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Pre_IMG_5484.jpg
    Pre_IMG_5484.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 10
  • During_100.JPG
    During_100.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Pre_IMG_5361.jpg
    Pre_IMG_5361.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Post_IMG_6160.jpg
    Post_IMG_6160.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Post_IMG_6157.jpg
    Post_IMG_6157.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 14
Love the dog statue on the top.

Hydraulic cement to fill in the holes and Type S mortar to secure the stones.

What model sheer descent was installed?

Love the dog statue on the top.

Hydraulic cement to fill in the holes and Type S mortar to secure the stones.

What model sheer descent was installed?
Thanks for the quick reply!! I'm not sure which model it is.
So hydraulic cement to fill in around the pipes. Then after it cures, use Type S mortar to secure the bluestone. Should mortar be used in between the sheer descent and the bluestone?

Yes - that dog statue always ends up positioning itself wherever I'm working in the yard!! ;)

I would like to see what the sheer installation manual says about mortar and stone on top of it or if you should put a stainless steel plate over it.

@AQUA~HOLICS may have thoughts.

I'll see if I can find out which model was used - but I doubt I will get that info. Unfortunately, I don't see any markings on the sheer descent except for a few labels that DO NOT have the mfg's info nor model number. UGH!!!

As stated above for types of products to use, a crack will appear at the point where the two products meet due to they will not adhere/bond together so separation will occur.
Is there something that you recommend that will prevent cracking? If a thin stainless steel plate - as mentioned above - is placed on top of the sheer descent, would that do the trick?

I'll see if I can find out which model was used - but I doubt I will get that info. Unfortunately, I don't see any markings on the sheer descent except for a few labels that DO NOT have the mfg's info nor model number. UGH!!!
Why is there any doubt?

Ask for the installation manual that came with the sheer descent.

Is there any reason that they will not give it to you?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See the attached manual. It shows the coping bridging over the waterfall and being anchored to the bond beam around the plastic.

1713895888426.png

Attachments

• 25577 Natural Wonders WF Instructions ENG.pdf
    315.6 KB · Views: 1