She won't stop eating chlorine!

FastCougar

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV
To begin, I have an above ground pool that contains 16,500 gallons and it's a saltwater pool. I opened the pool and maintained it (well, it pretty much maintains itself with the Chlorinator) until we went on vacation from June 15th to June 29th. We set the Chlorinator at 25% and covered the pool, which has never been an issue. Upon returning, I found what looked like mud on the bottom of the pool after uncovering it. Upon vacuuming, I realized it was a huge algae bloom. I immediately brought the pool to a shock level 16 after getting the ph to 7.4. I cleaned the filter and scrubbed the pool floor, stairs and walls. I continued to watch the levels ... for 2 entire days ... 16 to 11, add more ... test 4 hours later, back down to 11. This went on for 2 days! I got in on the 2nd day and scrubbed everything again and then I remembered the horror stories on here of mustard algae. After getting out of the pool from scrubbing and cleaning the filter again (paper filter), I raised to 16 so that I could go buy supplies to shock it to 30 that night. I shocked it last night to 30, turned the chlorinator to 75% duty cycle and this morning at 8:30AM it was down to 27. Brought it back up to 30-31 and tested again at 12:30 ... down to 21! Just brought it back up to 31-32 and I'm getting ready to head out to buy more bleach. I'm using standard 6% bleach ... been through 30 jugs and I'm down to my last 1! Keep at it this way to should I buy some shock? BTW, CYA is right at 40.

Forgot to add, after the initial vacuum and scrubbing, the water was a cloudy green but nothing terrible as the vacuuming was thorough and slow so most of it was captured. The water after day 1 was clearer but slightly cloudy with no hints of green/yellow. On day 2 the cloudiness disappeared and it was nearly perfectly clear. Today is day 3 and it's crystal clear but I'm hesitant to try and scrub again because of the amount of Chlorine and my skin is very messed up.

It's not mustard algae. Why are you SLAMing the pool with 30 FC when the SLAM process tells you that with a CYA of 40, your SLAM value should be around 1/2 that? Please don't buy "Shock"......that's simply another form of chlorine. Keep at it but be a little kinder to your liner and don't have your FC so high.

Review the SLAM article......You are doing a SLAM but kinda' shooting from the hip.....be more precise. The water should be looking better each day, is it?

Yesterday

Today

I put all my cleaning equipment in the pool when I brought it to mustard shock levels just in case because of how mustard clings.

Assuming it's not mustard and you are correct, say I let the FC drop to 16 over the course of the day, your advice is to keep it at 16 until I notice 1 part or less loss in an overnight test?

Last edited:
your advice is to keep it at 16 until I notice 1 part or less loss in an overnight test?
Pretty much. (by the way, that's a nice looking pool and beautiful water) It's not so much my advice as it is the written instructions on ending the SLAM.

I would perform an OCLT this evening and plan on passing it and then plan on a troublefree summer!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.