Sharp object under liner - what's the best course?

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
Hi all,

I noticed a sharp object under my pool liner in the shallow end. It's pretty small, but you can definitely feel it with your foot. I'm not sure what the bottom of the pool is. It might be grout, but a contractor made a comment that it was concrete. Seems like it's a bit harder than vermiculite from my understanding of vermiculite. From reading online, the best thing to do is to drain the pool and remove the object. The liner is only a year old but I really want to avoid having to drain the shallow end, pull the liner back, and remove the object. We had a lot of problems with our pool, the liner, and the contractor.

Some other options were to cut it out or even try to roll over it and push it back down. I also have heard of people just putting a clear patch over it now to give it some extra strength.

A local pool store said it could cause a hole at some point, but I didn't need to go making any preventative measures. I'm just looking for some more opinions. My biggest concern is that we git a rip in the winter and we don't notice.

Edit: I should probably note, I don't think our bottom is true concrete. It is somewhat soft. So perhaps it is vermiculite? I'm honestly not sure. It's definitely not hard like a concrete driveway, but I don't know what vermiculite feels like. Maybe somewhere in between. I'm not sure if I were to "roll" it out with a rolling pin though if it would go down. When our contractor did a couple of repairs he used Quikrete Mortar Mix if that helps.

Here is a picture of the shallow end.
20190710_172746.jpg

Last edited:
Its vermiculite likely it's hard not soft. It's only a little give if you land on it hard. Most of the time a rock is what you feel and it will settle on it's own if its not in a mortar repair spot. You always wanna repair vermiculite with the same. Anybody doing liners amd repairs should have a half pallet sitting around for these jobs not quickcrete. Take a measurement of where it is and keep an eye on it. Check before you are done with pool with a mask on. I wouldn't pull liner back for one spot. Its not gonna rip from just sitting with water weight unless its knife sharp

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.