Sharkline Matrix vs HII Chesapeake

Jenny0330

Aug 25, 2020
Illinois
Ok, here goes. We have a Sharkline Venture that we put in back in 2012. We went to replace the liner because we knew we needed a new one. Upon inspecting the pool we found multiple pin holes in the wall of the pool. Some weren't bad but one was definitely rotted through. I know lots of people on here have Sharkline and a couple even have my hybrid pool. But I'm obviously disappointed at how long this pool lasted. I did contact Wilbar and sent them pictures and was quoted an astronomical amount for a new wall. They say it's user error and maintenance and not on them. Quote was @ $3000 for just a new wall. I can buy a new pool for that amount.
Here's what I'm looking at...I can buy a HII Calimar Chesapeake for @ $2000 frame and skimmer. The only thing I don't like is the steel uprights. My Venture had that and because I live in a very high wind area my cover even with jugs of water attached flies up and down all winter long. Have tried clips, and the shrink wrap and both failed. The powder coating on the upright was rubbed off. But HII is very well rated its the manufacturer for Doughboy. Comes with a 100% 8 year warranty, but that's on paper and they could just as easily get out of it.
The Sharkline is another Wilbar. I understand some people have had great success with this brand but it kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But there are technically 2 Wilbar pools I'm looking at. The Azor and the Matrix. I like the look of the Azor but like the size of the uprights and top rail on the Matrix. But again, am I going to be looking at the same thing another 10 years down the road with the Wilbar pools? We did inspect the pool yearly and patched any holes from the kids that we saw. The pin holes popped up and we patched them but obviously more popped up.
So, any thoughts? WWYD?

Every AGP wall will get rust if it's made of steel. If it was me, I'd take a wire brush on a drill and remove the rust. Then paint with a good metal primer, and paint. Don't be afraid to prime & paint more than you think you need to. Then If there are holes through the wall, you can get some metal flashing and attach that to the wall being sure to tape the edges good so they don't cut the new liner.
It's up to you if you want to disturb the cove to see if the lower part of the wall has rust on it. Now would be the time to fix it if there was rust there. If you get the rust now, you can still get some more years with this one. It may take some time and effort, but it certainly isn't a lost cause.
Replace the liner and enjoy your pool.

Thanks, told my husband and he thinks he's going to try and do this. Luckily the bottom track is resin so if the wall is ok we shouldn't have to rip it apart too much.
With Covid it seems that pools are all back-ordered anyway so not too sure I would even get one by May.

Reactions: Wirides
Love my Sharkline Venture so much I bought a second one after a failed attempt at liner change with a gust of wind. Lol

So...we drained the pool down quite a bit and my husband cut back the liner. Doesn't look good. So, how do you determine when it's just too much rust. There is another small pinhole under the deck which is more along the bottom half of the pool which we can't see without completely draining the pool. Since it's storm season not ready to drain the pool completely yet.

Not sure why but it won't post the pic.

It'll let me post url I guess. Anyway this is the one we can get to. There is a hole about a half inch in diameter which doesn't show in picture well. This is along the top half, again not sure about bottom half yet.

Sorry about that. It let me insert today so here we go. It's been a week already

Attachments

• image_67181825 (2).jpg
    image_67181825 (2).jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.