Sharing an idea

With the Leslie's bottle, I sample at the pool, but bring it inside to test, where I can recreate conditions exactly, 365 days a year. Utility room counter, next to a sink, under a nice LED under-counter light. Perfect conditions, year-round. Outside light is technically different every single day, every hour of the day. Which contradicts my whole "10% accuracy" spiel, but supports my "you definitely want to refine the task as much as you can" statement! Each of us finds what works. I don't mean to discourage that. I got my MO from posting similarly, then extracting from others' ideas which ones worked for me.

The light of the SpeedStir lights up the water and the little lines quite well. That might even work outside. Give it a try.

Something else to consider: don't test the pool water so often. Learn more how your pool 'behaves' and how much FC it consumes and extrapolate out the data. I only test my FC every 2-3 days now that I know what to expect of my pool when no one has been swimming in it, and the FC levels are almost always within the range I expect.

Something else to consider: don't test the pool water so often. Learn more how your pool 'behaves' and how much FC it consumes and extrapolate out the data. I only test my FC every 2-3 days now that I know what to expect of my pool when no one has been swimming in it, and the FC levels are almost always within the range I expect.

I understand that, I've been caring for this pool since 1996. Right now I am testing daily because I am trying to learn how low I can maintain the FC without problems. I read my CYA as being between 40 and 50 and I have been maintaining 6 - 8 FC but I am letting it drift slowly down to 5 - 6 to see how it goes.

Mike.

With the Leslie's bottle, I sample at the pool, but bring it inside to test, where I can recreate conditions exactly, 365 days a year. Utility room counter, next to a sink, under a nice LED under-counter light. Perfect conditions, year-round. Outside light is technically different every single day, every hour of the day. Which contradicts my whole "10% accuracy" spiel, but supports my "you definitely want to refine the task as much as you can" statement! Each of us finds what works. I don't mean to discourage that. I got my MO from posting similarly, then extracting from others' ideas which ones worked for me.

The light of the SpeedStir lights up the water and the little lines quite well. That might even work outside. Give it a try.

Yeah I should go out and buy a big squirt bottle and bring the sample up to the house where I can do the tests comfortably in good light.

Mike.

Another plus: I keep my test kit in the cupboard above my counter, so it never sees the light or heat of the sun. It's never out by the pool. It's temperature stays pretty stable, which is best for the reagents.

And I dump my test waste into the sink, not the pool or yard.

Yah, if you're trying to pour your sample water into the test vial, just the right amount, to hit the 10ml mark, then have to pour a little back out, then more in, etc, that would get old real fast. The squirt bottle solves for that.

This is funny, I am going through this same problem. Just testing fc and trying to get 10mm in the speedstir vile. When i am on, a couple pour offs and I have 10mm. When I am off, pour out, get more water, pour out, pour out, get more water.....it gets old quick. Thought hard about the sample sizer, but $17 and shipping, have to think more on it. I have a squirt bottle, but I end up taking more water than I need and then I feel I am wasting water. But I drain more water from my swimsuit just getting out of the pool. I still don’t have an easy good solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, that is what I use. Misplaced my first speedstir after a kitchen remodel and bought another. Now I have 2. That's how much I like it. While your at it, get another vial and stir bars now and save on shipping.

Yes, that is what I use. Misplaced my first speedstir after a kitchen remodel and bought another. Now I have 2. That's how much I like it. While your at it, get another vial and stir bars now and save on shipping.

I just found this morning on the Taylor web site that the sample sizer works with 9056, 9057,9058 and 9198 vials and that the vial that comes with the speedstir is 4034. I sent an email to Taylor and am waitng to hear nback from them on what the difference is if any.

Mike.

These are my tools. Squirt bottle from Dollar Tree and a plastic pipette--bought 100 of these for a few dollars many years back online. An eye dropper would work as well. I always overfill the sample slightly and use the pipette to draw off the little extra. It's very precise.

b5ad2fe9e4b3cdf94be8a8dad114de92.jpg

Y'all are cracking me up here! Since my TF-100 test kit has vials with black markings, I have no trouble seeing them at all. I don't know *what* y'all are fussing about! LOL

Kidding aside.... how about marking the 10mL line with some nail polish?? Or a Sharpie??

Maddie :flower:

+100 for the Taylor Sample Sizer. Your method may work, but still too much effort. With the Sample Sizer you simply plunge into the vial to get either 10ml or 25ml exactly every time. With that device and a speed stir, daily FC testing takes all of 60 seconds.

Dang I have got to stay off this forum! I seriously thought about that sample sizer for no think quickness. Now I just placed ANOTHER order with tft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.