Shape of pool advise

ivparker

Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2016
Byron Center, MI
So we are debating between a rectangle pool or an L pool. In the L pool, the smaller part would only be 10 ft long by 16 ft wide. That would be a sunshelf and step leaving us with the 16x 36 open swim space. Or we could do a 16 x 36 just rectangle where one end would be the sunshelf taking up about 10 ft of the pool and no way to really do a lap where you touch one end to the next... but if we did the rectangle we could potentially get an automatic cover. What do you think?

I have a very old school rectangular pool. Its best feature is easily the auto-cover. Covered most of the time, my pool has near-zero evaporation and much reduced free chlorine loss. And the auto-cover obviously keeps out debris, animals, and children. I love my auto-cover and can live with the relative ugliness of a rectangle.

Where I live, we never close our pools for winter. Looks like you might be far north enough to need to close for winter freeze? Be aware the auto-cover rests on the surface of the water. If you have to winterize, you'll need to leave the auto-cover open and use some other kind of cover in winter, or the auto-cover will sag and break.

Reactions: ivparker
I was facing the same decision, and ultimately went with the L. Our little L is 8 x 10, otherwise very similar to what you're thinking. Now that the gunite is in, I'm very happy with the shape and dimensions. The 8 x 10 ledge feels very spacious, enough to put two lounges and still have play room for kids without feeling cramped. A 10 x 16 ledge would be huge!

We ultimately went with the L shape to allow for swimming laps and playing volleyball and what not in the main pool. I also like the little nook it creates on the patio for the firepit. Also we would probably never spend the money on the auto cover.

Reactions: ivparker
I dreamed of an L (and still think it would've been great!), but we didn't have quite enough room for it, and I also wanted the autocover. I'm glad we got the autocover! We keep our water really warm, so the water evaporates pretty easily already. The cover helps so much! I just dread the day that the cover lets me down in some way....

We went with a rectangle for a cleaner modern look as well as being able to utilize the autocover. Our sun shelf is the same dimensions as our spa, so technically, our pool is still a perfect rectangle for short laps. Also, the spa is flush with the pool, so when covered up, its still a perfect rectangle.

Is 36' a hard limit on the total length of the pool including shelf?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.