Shaft seal leak or something else

josh_j

Mar 18, 2019
Houston, TX
Last year I replaced the motor on my Pentair WF-28 pump and replaced all seals. I took that motor off today and noticed some white residue on the bottom part of the motor behind the impeller and quite a bit on the underside of the motor as well causing the paint to peel.
18D5F8B2-25F1-4687-9354-D017515C1737.jpegEF30910B-B4F2-46EF-A240-2AA04AD15EC5.jpeg
I looked back at my old Pentair motor that I still have and it has bubbling paint in the same location although slightly harder to see in the photo.
3719A9C8-6FDB-4681-A2F1-B8ADFA45B6D3.jpeg
so is this normal or a sign of an issue? Odd that it would be a shaft seal since I replaced that with the new motor and the signs of corrosion or whatever this is are the same on both motors with 2 different shaft seals. Also, my understanding of shaft seal issues is that I would see this all over the face of the motor, not just on the bottom. Could there be a problem with the seal plate itself? Or am I just being paranoid and this is perfectly normal signs of use?

Odd that it would be a shaft seal since I replaced that with the new motor and the signs of corrosion or whatever this is are the same on both motors with 2 different shaft seals.
What shaft seal did you use?

You want an "Ozone/Salt" rated seal and not the regular seal.

Also, use seal lube to install the seal.

You want an "Ozone/Salt" rated seal and not the regular seal.

Also, use seal lube to install the seal.
I did use the salt kit from inyo so it is the higher rated seal...I don’t recall exactly what lube I used to install the shaft seal if any at all. It was 9 months ago. I rewatched the Inyo install video just now and they didn’t use any so it is likely i didn‘t either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.