Shade shelter for CircuPool controller box

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
The only place I had to mount my CircuPool controller box was a south-facing wall that is in direct sun for 6+ hours every day. I knew the plastic wasn't going to fare well, so I wanted to shade it somehow. After thinking about it for far too long I came upon the idea of a lightweight box that would attach to the controller box itself, much the same way the controller box itself mounts to the wall bracket.

This is what I came up with. It's not a masterpiece, but it gets the job done and isn't a total eyesore, just somewhat of an eyesore. The back and bottom are open for air flow with a 3/4-inch gap between the mounting wall surface and the box on the sides, and there is ventilation between the "roof" and the sides.

The first picture is just to illustrate how it mounts to the controller box.

IMG_20200727_131256.jpg

The finished product.

IMG_20200730_191949.jpg

Google Sketchup plans for the frame are attached. I just used 1/4 exterior sanded plywood for the shell and painted everything white to reflect as much heat as possible.

Attachments

• CircuPool Shade Shelter.zip
    157.5 KB · Views: 17
So, do you just lift it up and out of the way to use the control unit or does the front side swing open somehow?

What program do I need to open that file with all the dimensions?
I gave some serious consideration to making it with an access door, but after considering my options I figured in the interest of simplicity and lightness I would just keep it simple. It is very light and lifts off with no effort.

I used the free online tool at https://app.sketchup.com/app. From there you can open a file from your computer. Inside the app you can use the tape measure tool and protractor to measure any dimension you need, but they're labeled as well. If you use it and make improvements to the design, let us know! Since it took a little trial and error for me to see what fit with enough space for air circulation and without being too large I figured I'd share it as a starting point for anyone else that might need it.

I worry knowing how hot they get. They have a hefty heat sink in the back with a built just goes to show what heat builds and what needs to be pulled away to keep the electronics from burning up. I would recommend still a bit more open area at least the complete heatsink thickness from the back coming forward so air can move across the back of it to cool the heat load.

The back is completely open and there is a gap of about 1.5 inches on all sides of the controller. I don't want the heatsink open to the sun on the sides because then it would act like, well, a heatsink. The sun would heat it up to somewhere over 140°F during the day and it would transfer all that heat to the electronic internals. Since the bottom and top are open it should foster cooling by encouraging natural convection. Heat inside the box will rise out of the openings and draw cooler air in from the bottom - the chimney effect. I think these pictures might better show what I'm talking about.

rear.jpg

bottom.jpg

I'll try and remember to use the infrared thermometer to take a temperature of the unit when it's operating tonight with the cover off versus on.

@sbcpool thank you for taking the time to create that file, helps me with the measurements, and show off your work. Planned for something similar, using siding I have left over instead of plywood. I was going to attach to the house, but like your "hang" method much better (y).

Will do something similar for the cell too, mostly to protect if from crazing.

It's 101°F right now, and the infrared thermometer reads 142°F on the concrete pool deck. The shade shelter is in the direct sun and reads 106°F and the controller box is also around 106°F. I wonder how hot that dark blue would be right now if the light concrete is 142°F?

After running for one hour at 100% with the cover on, the heatsink measured 116°F. After taking the cover off and waiting 30 minutes the heatsink still measured 116°F. So far it appears that if there is a temperature difference at night, it is small.

The only place I had to mount my CircuPool controller box was a south-facing wall that is in direct sun for 6+ hours every day. I knew the plastic wasn't going to fare well, so I wanted to shade it somehow. After thinking about it for far too long I came upon the idea of a lightweight box that would attach to the controller box itself, much the same way the controller box itself mounts to the wall bracket.

This is what I came up with. It's not a masterpiece, but it gets the job done and isn't a total eyesore, just somewhat of an eyesore. The back and bottom are open for air flow with a 3/4-inch gap between the mounting wall surface and the box on the sides, and there is ventilation between the "roof" and the sides.

The first picture is just to illustrate how it mounts to the controller box.

View attachment 155970

The finished product.

View attachment 155971

Google Sketchup plans for the frame are attached. I just used 1/4 exterior sanded plywood for the shell and painted everything white to reflect as much heat as possible.
I have a similar set up but with shade screen cloth, so I can peek in to see if generating lights are on. I face west, so It's an unhealthy lifestyle for electronics. It's open at the top and bottom for the chimney effect...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine faces West. Cobbled this together out of cedar scraps I had in a few minutes. A couple gate hinges so I can get better access to the controller and the panel. There's a period of time when the sun is lower than the shade, and higher than the hedge around the pool equipment, but its short.
Image from iOS (17).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.