SF Bay Area build (done!!!)

Gunite is happening tomorrow so we had a last chance meeting today
-Confirmed size/shape of the steps to be formed
-Confirmed our bench seat size (18")
-Confirmed our grotto foot well size/placement (16" is the "ideal" we measured for my 5' wife)

Modest grotto.jpg

Grotto contrast.jpg

The grotto "tower" has been scaled down so it is comfy instead of cavernous. We took just under 1 foot off the height (my PB left that piece so I could take pictures...he knows how I am at this point).

Weather after gunite is mid 60s and chance of rain for approx. 7 days. I am hoping that holds and I have some favorable curing conditions for the shell

Weep holes will be in place just in case

Tomorrow my job is to observe and make sure we follow the NO REBOUND rules

Should be a long but productive pool project tomorrow then a break while we wait for the landscaper (my current slot is early June...I figured it gives the gunite shell time to cure so I am ok). Masonry and tile work will happen in the meantime

Attachments

• Pre gunite 2.jpg
    Pre gunite 2.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Pre gunite.jpg
    Pre gunite.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 29
Glad to see you found a PB that "gets" you! My roofers were like that. I told them what I wanted to see and ask questions about. They would call to me to come look when they were at one of the areas or if they found something I would like to see and learn about.

Hope you are setting up a drink and treat area for the guys. Some drinks in a cooler and yummies will go a long way to make them really happy to be working on our project!

Kim:kim:

:cry:

That feeling you get when you are all set for gunite day and staring out the window starting at 6am but nobody shows up...and then you get the update at 8am there was a mechanical problem and they have to reschedule

I'm hoping it can be done later today or tomorrow because the forecast for the next 7 days is almost perfect for curing. Will be 7 straight days of < 70 with humidity. Normally it is upper 80s and dry

*update*
rescheduled for Monday May 20th

Attachments

• Forecast.jpg
    Forecast.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Mid day I noticed a new worker in my yard looking around. Turns out he is from the gunite crew and was estimating the job.

Turns out the main issue was a delay at the job site before mine. They were a bit optimistic with their scheduling.

The gunite sub wanted to come and start shooting part of my pool in the afternoon then finish the job the following day.

My PB said nope that will give us potential cold joints. He wants a time window where the entire job is completed.

Although I REALLY wanted them to squeeze it in because of that PERFECT curing weather I told my PB he has the final call and I 100% back whatever he wants. I also told him if the forecast improves tonight and they discover at 6am they can do my job go ahead (and most importantly my PB agrees with that assessment) then go ahead and authorize it. I doubt that happens but a guy can dream.

99.9999% sure my job won't happen until Monday May 20th. The weather will be 80+ and rising with decreasing humidity as it cures in the critical first 7 days. Just makes my watering/bonding time more important.

I agree with you to follow your PB's lead as he holds the warranty card BUT you can do the shell in parts. There has even been a few pools where they added some after the fact to change shelf size, bench shape, bring the bottom up some, etc. I tell you this just in case they push it. This way you know it is okay to do.

Gunite has officially started!!

I feel like a kid at Xmas right now

Weather is not perfect like last week but this forecast isn't a bad first 7 day life for the shell

First 2 days are < 70 and very wet

After that it stays under 80 with decent humidity

Hoping if I do my watering/bonding I get a nice strong shell to support to resist my local expansive soil and the rock work on top

Time to go back outside and keep watching

Attachments

• Gunite start.jpg
    Gunite start.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Gunite weather.jpg
    Gunite weather.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 62
They started just before 9am and finished around 4pm

Was told NOT to water it tonight because we have rain showers forecast

Will evaluate in the morning and decide when I start with the hose

I have never seen grotto construction pictures with frame support like this so I figured I would share.

My PB said he wanted to do as much as possible to prevent any cracking in the ceiling and added supports

The bench width is 18" (standard)
The riser height is only 16" (my wife is 5' tall and her pet peeve is dangling feet so I made it sized for her)
The foot rest width is about 24" and gives a tiny platform inside the grotto that should be standing height for most people

The grotto itself is approx. 4 feet deep and 4 feet wide
I will take final measurements when grotto is done curing...do not want to walk around on it day 1

Attachments

• Gunite done 1.jpg
    Gunite done 1.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Gunite done 2.jpg
    Gunite done 2.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Gunite done grotto.jpg
    Gunite done grotto.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 113

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH YEAH! :party: That looks awesome! A watering you should go. Don't wait for the rain. It will not get inside the grotto so you need to do it by hand or a well aimed sprinkler.

I have a set of links about plaster. It covers what you can do before hand to make sure you get the best plaster job possible:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Make sure to share this with your PB.

Reactions: NorCalX
Nothing new to report. Have been watering the shell for a week now.

It really sucked at first and took 75 or so minutes the first few times

Now I am done in 20-30 so I can see how the curing is advancing

I have clue about concrete and am curious why spots look different.

I assume it has to do with the curing

Some have white streaks (efflorescence I assume)
Some have a darker/wet appearances before I even start watering the pool

Some spots pieces have come off
Others just the same as day 1

Next step in my project is masonry and tile work...but we still need to decide on our boulder

:hammer:

Attachments

• Post gunite watering 8 days.jpg
    Post gunite watering 8 days.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 78
Had our first "mistake"

Clean up crew was here to remove the rebound that was shoveled out of the pool and tossed into the nearby area. Most of it ended up covering the trenches. I had no idea it would be so much...but that is a good thing!

Unfortunately, they did a bit too much digging and hit a pipe

Repair was just completed

Is it normal to just cut and replace the bad section or should I be demanding the entire pipe get run again?

Trenches are still open.

Also...we had the patio contractor out to remove our old shade structure. I can now get a clear view of the pool from our 2nd story and have a new view of the project. I like this picture because it shows the curves

Attachments

• Pipe leak after cleaning rebound.jpg
    Pipe leak after cleaning rebound.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Pipe repair.jpg
    Pipe repair.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 2nd floor view.jpg
    2nd floor view.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 101
OH that is a good pic from up there! It does showcase the whole pool!

Cut pipe-have they pressure tested it? Make sure they do before the fill in the trench. It is normal for them to patch like that and should not cause you any problems down the road so long as they glued it good and you will know they did if it holds pressure.

Reactions: NorCalX
OH that is a good pic from up there! It does showcase the whole pool!

Cut pipe-have they pressure tested it? Make sure they do before the fill in the trench. It is normal for them to patch like that and should not cause you any problems down the road so long as they glued it good and you will know they did if it holds pressure.

Yes on the pressure test. I can see the gauge and took a picture to track the pressure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.