Severe Green Pool Algae Problem

QC91

Jul 23, 2017
Concord CA
Hi, we are having severe green pool algae problem with our pool we have 20,000 in-ground pool we have Pentair Clean n Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. Cartridge filter the Cartridge is less than year old and are OEM have tried super chlorination, and Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart and cleaning the filters but the algae does not go away I will attach water chemistry report we went to our local pool service supply did they ran the sample on the water link spin lab they Recommend 4 gallon HASA SANI-CLOR CHLORINATING LIQUID FOR POOL AND SPA SANITIZATION Swimming Pool Liquids - Sani-Clor / HASAChlor and before we used the chlorine Muriatic Acid Sodium Bicarbonate it's been 18 hours and have not seen any improvement and looking my test kit the total chlorine is only about 3.2 PPM we added the Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide right after the Chlorine and we used are algae brush we do see the PSI coming up on the filters it was Recommended that we adjust the pool skimmer float valve diverter so the main drain can have more suction any help would be greatly appreciated

IMG_20170716_123744.jpgIMG_20170723_102327.jpg

First, Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

Second, no more algecide! Algecide is a preventative product. It does nothing (or very little for active algae, read the small print on the back of the bottle).

So, where do we go from here? I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Welcome to TFP ;)
Very nice pool, too bad about the colour, but like Tim said above it can be fixed.
I found this place about 7-8 years ago I had a persistant cloud that I couldn't get rid of, Haven't seen that cloud since, I now have TFP water.
But don't take our word for it head over to what I call Algae Avenue
Algae - Prevention and Treatment
read a few of the stories see the results, even pm some people and double check, but like I say

I read a bit
I got the Kit
My pool was green
And now it is clean

Hi thank you everyone for the help I will look at getting a newer test kit want to ask if I want to keep using liquid chlorine which how much would it take keep shocking it 10 ppm's for 20000 gallon pool IG ? Looking at the calculator but I'm not sure how to use it just trying to determine how much chlorine levels I should keep it at to try to get this algae under control

Please learn Pool Math.

You would use 2 1/2 gallons of 8.25% bleach to go from 0 to 10 FC in your pool. However, that will be consumed nearly immediately. You need to be able to measure FC higher than 10 using a FAS-DPD to be successful. You will spend more money wasting bleach than it will cost to get a proper test kit as recommended.

Take care.

Please do not think a FC of 10 is a magic number. The shock level of chlorine is a sliding number based on The amount of CYA/stabilizer in the water. See the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I would suggest adding 1 gallon of your chlorine each day until you get the test kit. Be sure to rake/scoop all debris out as best as you can. Brush too.

You did not say if you had a CYA test from a pool store. Not that we would believe the number, but do you have any at all. With this severe of an algae outbreak there is a chance this is an ammonia condition.

What will you do if you need to drain and refill? Think about what your decision would be if that comes up.

Take care.

What CYA did they show?

-- sorry I am adverse to opening attachments like yours.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahh -- you will most likely be draining a significant amount of this water.

Still need to wait for your test kit to see what the actual CYA is -- it might be a whole lot more than what they got.

So -- What will you do if you need to drain and refill? Think about what your decision would be if that comes up.

QC91:

Welcome to TFP. Can you please add your signature so we know what type of pool, equipment, etc. you are working with. Regarding your CYA, which only the test kit can confirm, you may have to drain at least 50% of your water before starting any type of clean up work or SLAM. When your kit arrives, please do the following. Take one bottle of pool water (about 1' deep) after the water has circulated for at least an hour. Then take one bottle (same amount) of tap water and mix both bottles together in a larger bottle (Mix well).

Now test with the mixed water and double the results. This is your CYA. Once we know your CYA, only then can you start the process.

Hi, Anne here.

It is really simple. first you need to buy the right test kit -- trust me on this. My pool looked worse than yours about three weeks ago, and now it is a beautiful sparkly blue oasis.

Test the water after reading the ABCs of pool chemistry. Then you need to do a SLAM, when you can be around the house (a weekend is good).

In my case, there was so much CYA in the pool we had to drain it. Twice. Once we got the CYA level down, the chlorine could work and presto! Blue sparkly pool.

It all starts though with the right tester -- and everyone has said this but it's true, you don't want to trust your pool store testing.

Best of luck! Beautiful pool you have there. This is a great place to help you figure out the chemistry and get on the road to a great pool experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.