Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I received my test kit yesterday and broke it in today. These are my results:

pH:7.5
FC:4
CC:0
CYA:40
TC:0
TA: 80 (this one was a little confusing. It said it was supposed to be red but continued to be a hot pink and not change colors after adding ~25 more drops. I assume the hot pink is the correct color?

Here are my questions:
1) Is the TA color correct (never changed to true red)?
2) Does pH have to be 7.2 to slam?
3) It said maintain chlorine level around the clock, so do I add chlorine during the day if it goes low?
4) I calculated with my FC and CYA that my slam level is 16, when I plug it into pool math it says it is outside my recommended range. Is this the wrong target?

I think I updated my settings, but if not, I have a 24' above ground pool (15,000 gallons) with a sand filter. we have had it 1 year. My pool is currently teal green.

Thanks All! Lil

1- I describe the final TA color as Barbie pink. The important thing is when the final color change stops.
2 - We recommend between 7.2-7.4 only because once you start the SLAM you won't test pH again until you are done.
3 - Maintain as best as you can based on your schedule. If you work, it will fall until you get back. We don't expect you to test in teh middle of the night either. Just do your nest.
4 - A CYA of 30 requires and FC SLAM level of 12. If you CYA is closer to 40, then the FC will be 16. You can confirm that on the FC/CYA Levels - SLAM tab.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and don't worry about the TA until after the SLAM Process. But next time you do test it, have a clean damp towel handy and wipe the tip of the R-0009 every few drops as sometimes the new tip can generate a little static electricity effecting the size of the droplet. The #7 and #8 should be okay.

Reactions: Mdragger88
1) barbie pink is the correct color 👍🏻
2) 7.2-7.5 is fine
3) test & replenish fc to slam level for your cya as often as possible. Starting on your day off is helpful as the beginning of the slam requires more frequent dosing, generally as u go along the fc level begins to hold a little longer allowing for 3-4 doses/day.
4) turn on the “slam” toggle - ignore the warning, it is fine. Slam is not a “recommended maintenance level” the recommended fc levels are target 🎯 fc levels - is suspect this warning exists for those who were slamming but forgot to move the toggle back when it was over.

Thanks. That helps a lot. So, I know under usual circumstances, you are not supposed to add chlorine during the day, but during the slam process if it falls during the day, do you add more during daylight hours (my pool is in direct sunlight about 6 hours a day) ?

you are not supposed to add chlorine during the day,
Why? Add chlorine when the pool needs it. During the SLAM process, that can be every couple hours.

When you add chlorine to the pool is far less important than be sure the FC level never drops below minimum for the CYA level.

I guess I have been programmed not to add chlorine during the day because it burns off? Need to reprogram myself....
Stick around here. CTRL>ALT>DEL and we'll take care of you. :)

I guess I have been programmed not to add chlorine during the day because it burns off? Need to reprogram myself....
It burns off the same no matter when you add it. Get a SWCG, then you are adding chlorine during all the time the pump runs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Officially deprogrammed! Just added my first dose of chlorine to start the slam process. One more question....
Added chlorine late tonight and will check first thing tomorrow morning. Have the next 2 days off so I can stay on top of it. Do I need to be checking the CYA level each time or just the FC level. (Not sure how quickly the CYA level can change/if I need to check each time to input correct SLAM levels.) Thanks for everyone's input. Lil

Officially deprogrammed! Just added my first dose of chlorine to start the slam process. One more question....
Added chlorine late tonight and will check first thing tomorrow morning. Have the next 2 days off so I can stay on top of it. Do I need to be checking the CYA level each time or just the FC level. (Not sure how quickly the CYA level can change/if I need to check each time to input correct SLAM levels.) Thanks for everyone's input. Lil
Hi lil,

No you don’t need to check CYA every time if you’ve verified it via testing. CYA won’t leave the water except through drain/refill for all intents and purposes. If you adjust your CYA level by adding stabilizer in the future, you’d verify the result a day or so after the addition. For now just continue testing FC and adjusting up to SLAM level frequently.

Hasn't been mentioned so I'll just add this. Atleast at the beginning of slam obviously with pump running 24/7 you'll need to check if you've achieved the desired slam level by waiting 15 minutes and re checking the FC. Be sure the poolmath app is adjusted according to the chlorine strength you're using. Make sure the chlorine is all from a similar batch date so when the slam level is there it'll pretty much go up the same with the rest of the jugs. If you go out to get more you'll need to check freshness again and don't assume it's getting you the FC rise until you check them the first few times.

Thank you wireform and everyone else. So, I just checked my FC (it's morning here) after my initial dose of chlorine last night (it was close to 2 gallons) and it is at 17 (My goal was 16?). So at this point, do I just leave it be and check again in a couple of hours to see it level has fallen?

Thank you wireform and everyone else. So, I just checked my FC (it's morning here) after my initial dose of chlorine last night (it was close to 2 gallons) and it is at 17 (My goal was 16?). So at this point, do I just leave it be and check again in a couple of hours to see it level has fallen?
Yes 👍🏻 & replenish as needed- every couple hours is best if u can do so.

I started the slam process on my sad green pool 5 days ago Yesterday morning my pool was crystal clear for the first time all summer. Couple of questions about moving on.

1) Yesterday and today the water was crystal clear, but there is still dead algae in the bottom. I vacuumed the algae yesterday afternoon, but there was more this morning. Do I need to continue the slam process if this dead algae is present (if I can also pass the other 2 criteria) if the water is clear.

2) Once I pass all 3 criteria, do I then just maintain the CYA/FC levels for normal maintenance (as well as pH, TA, etc)?

Thank you! Lil

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.