Setting VSP schedule

Tenna1970

Feb 12, 2019
Gulf Breeze
Hi All, I’ve read several articles and posts regarding setting a schedule for a VSP. I understand I will need to make adjustments but would like someone to give me a startup schedule to work with. I do not use the chlorinator and only use solar heat when necessary. I live in the Panhandle so it’s not necessary right now. We used a pool maintenance service until this year and they had set the schedule to run on 2800 from 8 am to 7 pm with the Polaris running 2 hours a day. We’ve just spent two months getting a new liner installed. They will be back tomorrow to put the tiles in after its completely filled. I’d also like your assistance in getting the chemicals balanced. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

How are you chlorinating? Liquid bleach? The only reason to keep the pump on at all more than maybe 2 hours a day (for basic circulation/skimmers) is to run a saltwater chlorine generator or a cleaner. If you want your cleaner to run for 2 hours a day, run the pump 2 hours a day at whatever is the lowest speed your cleaner needs and call it a day.

Reactions: Tenna1970
How are you chlorinating? Liquid bleach? The only reason to keep the pump on at all more than maybe 2 hours a day (for basic circulation/skimmers) is to run a saltwater chlorine generator or a cleaner. If you want your cleaner to run for 2 hours a day, run the pump 2 hours a day at whatever is the lowest speed your cleaner needs and call it a day.

My pool gets really dirty as it’s surrounded by 9 palm trees and several other plants. Even with the pump running 10-12 hours a day we still have to sweep it with a net a couple of times a day. I thought having the pump run more often helped keep the debris moved out?

Also, I believe I have the app set to share my test results and am seeking advice on where to start to get the water balanced?

Thank you!

Your numbers are not bad. I would increase CYA to 30-40 and increase chlorine to 6. At your CYA of 20 you should be at 5. Your chlorine level is simply too low. I noticed a lot of times where you tested at 0. I am surprised you are not battling algae more often. I would get that chlorine up and keep it up asap. You probably need around a gallon a day of 8.25% chlorine to maintain 5. See pool math.

If your skimmers are catching debris then running the pump longer would let the skimmer catch more. But you'd still need to empty the skimmers out. I run my pump 24x7 and still have to net leaves out. It is all part of pool maintenance.

Reactions: Tenna1970
Your numbers are not bad. I would increase CYA to 30-40 and increase chlorine to 6. At your CYA of 20 you should be at 5. Your chlorine level is simply too low. I noticed a lot of times where you tested at 0. I am surprised you are not battling algae more often. I would get that chlorine up and keep it up asap. You probably need around a gallon a day of 8.25% chlorine to maintain 5. See pool math.

If your skimmers are catching debris then running the pump longer would let the skimmer catch more. But you'd still need to empty the skimmers out. I run my pump 24x7 and still have to net leaves out. It is all part of pool maintenance.

Thanks much. We’ve been in the process of getting a new liner since June 10th. There have been a lot of issues. We added water for the new liner and within a couple of days we had a cave in so I never had the chlorine correct. Drained the pool, fixed the cave-in, filled the pool again. Couple of days later it caved again big time. Tore the liner in the process. Had the problem fixed again, installed a new liner and filled it yesterday. Waiting for the guys to put the tiles on today. So, yeah the chlorine level has been nada off and on for a while. Probably going to be a while before I get it correct as I’m leaving for 10 days and will have to use pucks. I’ll just play it by ear as far as how long to run the pump. Trial and error....

Thank you for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.