Setting up old Solana Spa TX. Temperature setting but not displaying (or heating)

ajmd49

May 22, 2021
NY
I just picked up this old hot tub. Filled it up, ran a cleaning cycle and set the temperature to 104, then 85.

When I set the temperature the read out will display as expected, then goes blank after ~ 30 seconds. I don't think this is expected behavior - I'm expecting the display to read the set temperature, then display whatever the actual temperature of the tub is.

More importantly, I don't think the tub is actually heating. I took a look at the control panel and the heater light will come on when the jets are low, but not in any other scenario. Even when the light is on I don't think this is actually heating.

That'd be great if I'm misunderstanding the process and it's working as expected. But I've had it plugged in about 2 hours now with the cover on - temperature feels the same

Here are relevant pics:
All scenarios
Green "LIM OK" light on
Set temp displays then screen goes blank

Jets off
"HTR ON" light is off.

Jets low
"D17" light is on
"HTR ON" light is on (still no temp read out)

Jets high
"D17" light is on
"HTR ON" light is off

When I set the temperature the read out will display as expected, then goes blank after ~ 30 seconds. I don't think this is expected behavior - I'm expecting the display to read the set temperature, then display whatever the actual temperature of the tub is.
Not on a Hot Springs Solana. This is normal.

took a look at the control panel and the heater light will come on when the jets are low, but not in any other scenario.
Again, normal.

scenarios
Green "LIM OK" light on
Set temp displays then screen goes blank

Jets off
"HTR ON" light is off.

Jets low
"D17" light is on
"HTR ON" light is on (still no temp read out)

Jets high
"D17" light is on
"HTR ON" light is off
Normal, normal, normal.
I don't think you have a problem with the controls. If it doesn't heat up you may have a bad relay or heater, but those Solanas were often 120v, so could heat only 2 or 3 degrees per hour. And only with pump 1 on low. It may also be in some economy mode, where it only heats during a filter cycle and will not turn on the pump just to heat. Not sure if the Solana has programmable modes or not.

Oh, that one uses a pressure switch. It's the small square thing on the heater tube. Turn off power, unplug the pressure switch plug from the board and jumper the 2 pins with a bit of foil. If it starts to heat REPLACE THE PRESSURE SWITCH, do not just leave the jumper in place as it can cause an unsafe condition.

Not on a Hot Springs Solana. This is normal.

Again, normal.

Normal, normal, normal.
I don't think you have a problem with the controls. If it doesn't heat up you may have a bad relay or heater, but those Solanas were often 120v, so could heat only 2 or 3 degrees per hour. And only with pump 1 on low. It may also be in some economy mode, where it only heats during a filter cycle and will not turn on the pump just to heat. Not sure if the Solana has programmable modes or not.
Yes to all of this. I did have to turn on the jets manually to get the heater to go, but other than that it's working perfectly fine.

Oh, that one uses a pressure switch. It's the small square thing on the heater tube. Turn off power, unplug the pressure switch plug from the board and jumper the 2 pins with a bit of foil. If it starts to heat REPLACE THE PRESSURE SWITCH, do not just leave the jumper in place as it can cause an unsafe condition.
Turns out it was heating just fine, I just misunderstood how it was supposed to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.