Setting pump ON / OFF Times with Pentair IntelliTouch confusion.

Z-27

Feb 16, 2021
Texas
I'm having trouble programming my Pentair IntelliTouch Pool Controller (Part 520138 ?). The setting of the start/stop times are driving me bananas. Setting start and stop times are quite easy. My problem is, it doesn't follow my instructions for about 24 hours. Normally, I have the pump start at 10 AM. Because of a servicing need, I wanted to change the start time to 2 PM. I made my programming change four or five hours before the normal start time of 10 AM. At 10 AM the pump did not start, I was happy. Then at around 12 noon, the pump DID start even though I had programmed it to start at 2 PM. I read the manual three times, I think I understand a little bit about the "Egg Timer". I don't know if that's interfering with it. I don't know why it won't do what I want it to do. Based on past experience with this controller, only after about 24 hours will it obey my programming. How do I get it to obey my programming right away?

Z,

How many total schedules do you have?? Including all schedules, all egg-timers and all run-once items..

If something is manually turned on, it will tend to stay on until the egg-timer times out.

One thing that you can try is to push the reset button on the main panel, after you have made changes to your programming, then see what happens.. It will not erase anything, it is like rebooting your PC. It can take several minutes for everything to come back up.

Do you have ScreenLogic?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello Jimrahbe, Thank you for helping me.

I have 2 schedules. (My pool has no spa.) So there's just an ON/OFF for the pool pump, and another ON/OFF program for my Polaris cleaner. In the past, I have played around with the Egg Timer. I haven't used it in a long time. I was under the impression that I had to activate that for it to function. I was under the impression (perhaps false) that the Egg Timers purpose was if you wanted to run something outside of normal running hours.

I have ScreenLogic on my iPhone. It's a little clunky, but it works very well.

I had ghosts like that for the longest time. I'd program some schedules and pump speeds, some would work as intended, and others would not. Some of it was my error. Other glitches definitely were not. I finally did a factory reset (not just the reset that Jim describes), and after reprogramming everything it all worked, and has since. I have a different Pentair controller, the EasyTouch, so that drastic move may or may not work for you.

Continue to work with Jim. He's our Pentair guru. Just know, there is a last resort if nothing else works.

Z,

I suggest that you set all your egg-timers back to the default of 12 hours.

Egg-timers are used when you want to turn something on manually and have it automatically shut off after the egg-timer times out.

When you manually turn on a scheduled circuit (like Pool) you can confuse the IntelliTouch..

I can show you a way around this, but it will have to be later today.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Z,

Egg-timers are used when you want to turn something on manually and have it automatically shut off after the egg-timer times out.

When you manually turn on a scheduled circuit (like Pool) you can confuse the IntelliTouch..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Using the ScreenLogic iPhone app. Main Menu > Schedules > Egg Timer. It shows 6 circuits with some programming. All six, show 12 hours. One of the 6 circuits is the Pool Pump. You mentioned there was another way to clean this up. I will standby for that. Thank you.

Z,

I re-read your initial post and now I am not so sure what it is that you want to do.. :scratch:

I initially thought you wanted to just manually turn the pump on.. Not so sure that is what you really wanted.

The fact that the program does not take immediate effect just depends on when you make the change. It says in the manual that it might not take effect until the next cycle..

The fact that you wanted the pump to start at 2 pm and it started at noon does not make sense on the surface.. When is your cleaner scheduled to run??

Show me your current schedules...

If you just want to run the pump but do not want to mess with the "pool" schedule, then all you need to do is set up a new circuit and assign a speed to it. As an example..

You could set up Aux 3 to have a speed of 2000 RPM. If you were outside and pushed the Aux 3 button the pump would start and run at 2000 RPM. If the pump was already running it would increase speed to 2000, unless the the pump was already running faster than 2000. It would have no effect on the Pool Schedule.. You could also just use the app to turn on Aux 3..

Tell me more and maybe we can figure this out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe if he’s only
Looking on the app would there be egg timers/schedules elsewhere not visible on all (the so called ghost schedules that pop up on the forums from time to time)

BDY,

The only egg-timer that should matter is the one for the Pool circuit, which the OP says is set to 12 hours. He states he only has 2 schedules, so it is unlikely that any other egg timers are using up the max number of schedules. The EasyTouch has 12 max, but I believe that the IntelliTouch has more, something like 15.. (Not sure).

At this point I am not sure what is going on.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Z,

I re-read your initial post and now I am not so sure what it is that you want to do.. :scratch:

I initially thought you wanted to just manually turn the pump on.. Not so sure that is what you really wanted.

The fact that the program does not take immediate effect just depends on when you make the change. It says in the manual that it might not take effect until the next cycle..

The fact that you wanted the pump to start at 2 pm and it started at noon does not make sense on the surface.. When is your cleaner scheduled to run??

Show me your current schedules...

If you just want to run the pump but do not want to mess with the "pool" schedule, then all you need to do is set up a new circuit and assign a speed to it. As an example..

You could set up Aux 3 to have a speed of 2000 RPM. If you were outside and pushed the Aux 3 button the pump would start and run at 2000 RPM. If the pump was already running it would increase speed to 2000, unless the the pump was already running faster than 2000. It would have no effect on the Pool Schedule.. You could also just use the app to turn on Aux 3..

Tell me more and maybe we can figure this out..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think I figured out a possibility. If I have programmed the pool cleaner to come on at a given time, but the pump is not already running I suspect that the system will turn the main pump on first, so that the cleaner can operate. Any of this makes sense?

Please tell me more about the reset button on the main panel out by the pool equipment. How can pressing that benefit me?

Reset button is like a reboot button - it restarts the system. It doesn’t clear anything out that’s saved but If there is anything ghosting or stuck or whatever …

Kind of like rebooting your computer to solve performance issues from time to time

Z,

Thanks,

Jim R.
I found this online, I have not tried it.
"Programming can be updated instantaneously, by using the ADVANCED <SEND TO OUTDOOR> function. This instantly updates all of the controllers at all locations, instead of waiting for the scheduled interrogations." Have you heard of this?

Z,

Do you have ScreenLogic and Pentair remotes??? If you have Pentair remotes, you can try "send to outdoor" unit..

Yes, the EasyTouch will turn on the pump before it turns on the cleaner.. This is normally done when you have a pressure side cleaner with a booster pump. It will do it no matter the type of cleaner if the Cleaner Circuit Function is set to "Master Cleaner"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.