Sensitive skin

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
Hi all,

I'm not sure the best section to post this in but it seemed to fit the deep end.

Is there anything that can be done to make a pool easier on sensitive skin? My youngest has eczema and often scratches up a storm after being in the pool. I'm told water often does this in general but I'm trying to minimize it.

I use liquid bleach and keep my pH around 7.5-7.6.

Would a salt water generator make it easier on someone with eczema?

What about bromine? I'm open to all suggestions.

As bromine cannot be stabilized, I would not recommend it for this case.

Are you following the FC/CYA Levels? Keeping the chlorine and CYA levels balanced within the target tends to be most comfortable based on experiences of forum users with or their family members with eczema.

Hey CJ !! You can add salt just for comparison without the SWG. It should feel better on the skin if the rest of the chemistry is right. Many people with skin sensitivities have reported that it either helped, or solved the issue.

Hey CJ !! You can add salt just for comparison without the SWG. It should feel better on the skin if the rest of the chemistry is right. Many people with skin sensitivities have reported that it either helped, or solved the issue.
Interesting. You could test that theory in a bathtub before you added salt to your entire pool. And your pool may or may not have a significant amount of salt in it already. Might be worth testing its salt level so you can keep track of what you're experimenting with. This is the recommended test kit for salt.

I have psoriasis (hardcore eczema) and I have a SWG and it works great.. My skin does not dry out and itch and I go in the pool all the time :) UV rays will help also.. I keep my CYA at 80 and my salt is between 3500 to 3800.. We really love the feel of our pool and if my SWG died today it would get replaced today

A SWG will make your like so much easier and keep your pool nice and easy... They are expensive up front but after 3 to 4 years you are getting free chlorine...

I think your pool is about 12k to 13k gallons, that would make the Circupool SJ 40 a perfect fit, you would only need to run on low 6 to 8 hours a day depending on how much sun you get... CircuPool SJ-40 Saltwater Chlorine Generator | Discount Salt Pool

The RJ 30 and the Core 35 would also work but cost more, they are newer and have more data.... ( I still like the SJ model as it is less high tech and has less to go wrong ) :)

I have psoriasis (hardcore eczema) and I have a SWG and it works great.. My skin does not dry out and itch and I go in the pool all the time :) UV rays will help also.. I keep my CYA at 80 and my salt is between 3500 to 3800.. We really love the feel of our pool and if my SWG died today it would get replaced today

A SWG will make your like so much easier and keep your pool nice and easy... They are expensive up front but after 3 to 4 years you are getting free chlorine...

I think your pool is about 12k to 13k gallons, that would make the Circupool SJ 40 a perfect fit, you would only need to run on low 6 to 8 hours a day depending on how much sun you get... CircuPool SJ-40 Saltwater Chlorine Generator | Discount Salt Pool

The RJ 30 and the Core 35 would also work but cost more, they are newer and have more data.... ( I still like the SJ model as it is less high tech and has less to go wrong ) :)

Did you have any problems without the SWG?

Everyone in my household seems to like the pool better after adding a SWCG and salt. Your body is fairly saline and I think the salt buffers things a bit. It's odd because the water also feels softer than it is, and I think that is because of the salt "buffering". It sure makes taking care of the pool a whole lot easier. I have been bad and gone without doing full testing for two weeks twice this summer and as long as I add about a cup of muriatic acid a week, I have perfectly fine readings. I did just add a little more stabilizer this weekend (you run a little high with a SWCG and I really wasn't) but other than that all I have had to add all summer is HCl. The cells produces OH- along with CL- and H+ so that is the one thing you have to keep on top of, the pH rise. Considering a bottle of muriatic acid lasts two months though, and has to be added only weekly... it's still much easier.

Reactions: cj133
Like others said. The Bathtub is a good idea, but you can add 1000-2000 PPM or so of salt in your pool even without a SWCG if you think it would help. I would definitely get a K-1766 first as I already had 800 PPM in my pool when I started. If you are going to do this seriously, get a baseline first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you have any problems without the SWG?

I have always had my SWG in my pool, knew it was the way to go from the start... but I did have a Hot Tub and ran that with just chlorine for a couple years, it would cause me to itch more and dry out my skin... Some of that was also Hot Water... It helped when I changed my hot tub to a SWG also, did not dry my skin out and the itching went down but because it was still hot water it did not go away altogether... I have gotten rid of it and will go to a sauna instead as that is great for your skin and pools are not warm in -15 degree weather... :)

I also have a detached hot tub. Honestly I am the one who uses it 95% of the time. I do bleach in it. I wouldn't hesitate to add salt to it either if it bothered me. I don't think you have to get it up to the 3000-3500 PPM that use need for chlorine generation to have the effect. 1500-2000 PPM seems like the right amount if you aren't getting a SWCG.. We were swimming when adding salt for the two weeks before we got the Circupool and that is about where everyone noticed a difference.

From say second week in June to mid September it's too hot out here to even use the hot tub. I have a picture on my build thread of it overheating and having to be partially refilled to get the temperature down to restart it.. I don't think the heater has run on it since May... at all....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.