Semi-Inground Oval with Deep End and SWG??

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of discussions (and will continue to do so), but thought I would post to see whether I get any direct answers to my questions.

We are currently researching putting in a semi-inground pool. We have had an Intex the past 2 years (this summer will be season 3) and it has served us pretty well, but we're looking to get something a little more substantial - and, maybe most importantly to me - that can be heated! A little lower profile (in terms of being seen from the street) would be nice too.

We are looking at semi-inground because we would like to make something continuous (or possibly one step down from) our current decking off the back of our house. Here is our potential wish list:
- Oval or rectangular shape (we prefer this look over round, but more importantly, it just fits our available space better); absolute max length would be 33'
- SWG (this is what we have with our intex currently and we have really like it)
- Possible deep end
- Cheap-ish! (Lol - doesn't everyone want everything for cheap?). It doesn't have to be cheap cheap, but I'll discuss more below why I mention that.

So far, the only pools that I have found that fill all of the above are radiance (or variations thereof) and/or EZ panel ( again, or variations thereof). This issue is that the price point between those and "other" semi inground pools seems to be pretty substantial - like double the cost. The reason we aren't looking to over-invest (besides the obvious cash situation) is that the pool will be going off the back of the house. We both have older parents and it's not impossible that we could need to expand the house (right where this pool will be) in the next 5 years or so. So we would prefer to have something that isn't such a huge loss if we have to tear it out.

As far as the desire for a deep end (and this seems to add a lot of cost as well), that's driven by the fact we have a 7 and 10 year old. I'm not looking for a diving pool, but I would like for them to be able to jump in (and they are boys, so they will be crazy) without feeling anxious every time they do.

I'd love feedback from others who have gone through a similar decision process (especially in regards to whether to include a deep "jumping" end) and what they ended up doing (and of course whether they are happy or not with the decision). I feel like I hear more and more that people are opting to skip deep ends (even in inground pools), but how do the kids do with that??? LOL. Is it okay for them to be doing "crazy" jumps into a standard depth pool?

Also, if anyone can point me towards other pool brands that may have what we are looking for. I've seen a lot about Doughboy as well, but I don't believe they are saltwater compatible.

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback!

Google Royal Swimming Pools. Click on their above ground pools and then choose semi inground and saltwater. Two doughboy pools will come up. The one called Embassy Royal Sands has the option of an expandable liner. It's also a decent price.
Also, someone correct me if my thinking is off, but I'd guess that any pool that's warrantied for semi inground install could handle a swg. I'd think that if the pool can hold up to being in the ground and not corrode, then it should be able to handle being saltwater. Good luck with your search.

Google Royal Swimming Pools. Click on their above ground pools and then choose semi inground and saltwater. Two doughboy pools will come up. The one called Embassy Royal Sands has the option of an expandable liner. It's also a decent price.
Also, someone correct me if my thinking is off, but I'd guess that any pool that's warrantied for semi inground install could handle a swg. I'd think that if the pool can hold up to being in the ground and not corrode, then it should be able to handle being saltwater. Good luck with your search.
Thank you - great recommendation! I just called them and got a little more info - I will look into this options. FYI - The Royal Retreat is the same pool they said - just different color frame. The guy I spoke with said he doesn't recommend the dark brown Royal Sands because it's not holding its color well in the field.

Thank you - great recommendation! I just called them and got a little more info - I will look into this options. FYI - The Royal Retreat is the same pool they said - just different color frame. The guy I spoke with said he doesn't recommend the dark brown Royal Sands because it's not holding its color well in the field.

They looked like they'd be the same, but I didn't see an expandable liner on the other, though I just did a quick look so I probably missed. it. The other one (Royal Retreat) looks a lot nicer than the one I posted. I was looking at one on their site called Whispering Winds which can be fully buried, even has steps like an inground if you want. Good luck with your project. I finally got mine figured out (meaning I finally know what I want LOL), and have a quote...now just trying to decide if I really want to spend that much money right now.

really want to spend that much money right now
I just finished paying mine off and I’m still ‘deciding’ if I wanted to spend that money. Lol.

In all seriousness, we love it. Would do it again without blinking. I’ll second guess the finances till the end of time tho. Human nature.

They looked like they'd be the same, but I didn't see an expandable liner on the other, though I just did a quick look so I probably missed. it. The other one (Royal Retreat) looks a lot nicer than the one I posted. I was looking at one on their site called Whispering Winds which can be fully buried, even has steps like an inground if you want. Good luck with your project. I finally got mine figured out (meaning I finally know what I want LOL), and have a quote...now just trying to decide if I really want to spend that much money right now.
"trying to decide if I really want to spend that much money right now" - always the million dollar question. I am so back and forth between "let's just put up the cheapest above ground possible" and "screw it, let's just put in a true in-ground pool!" And (obviously) everything in between. Lol.

"trying to decide if I really want to spend that much money right now" - always the million dollar question. I am so back and forth between "let's just put up the cheapest above ground possible" and "screw it, let's just put in a true in-ground pool!" And (obviously) everything in between. Lol.
YES! I've got a 15 foot intex sitting in the garage that I got on clearance last year for $74. My cousin lives around the corner (3 minutes to walk to her house) and has a large inground with a diving board that I can use any time I want. She's even fussing that I'm looking at a permanent pool bc she's afraid nobody will use her pool. There in lies my dilemma. BUT I have a 6 year old who is in and out of the pool all day long. We spent more time in our 12 foot intex last summer than in her real pool bc there's something about it being right out the back door. Plus, I'm a teacher so I have all summer off. And I want my backyard to look nice....I've decided to pull the trigger and call the pool dealer/installer on Monday to get things rolling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YES! I've got a 15 foot intex sitting in the garage that I got on clearance last year for $74. My cousin lives around the corner (3 minutes to walk to her house) and has a large inground with a diving board that I can use any time I want. She's even fussing that I'm looking at a permanent pool bc she's afraid nobody will use her pool. There in lies my dilemma. BUT I have a 6 year old who is in and out of the pool all day long. We spent more time in our 12 foot intex last summer than in her real pool bc there's something about it being right out the back door. Plus, I'm a teacher so I have all summer off. And I want my backyard to look nice....I've decided to pull the trigger and call the pool dealer/installer on Monday to get things rolling.
Good for you and best of luck! Keep us all posted on your progress!

We had access to a pool literally across the street, with wonderful people in that house, but it might have well been just the same as packing up to go anywhere. We still packed everything up and had to lug it. Now the towels are in the deck box 9ft from the pool along with most anything else we need. Zero to cannonball can take 5 seconds if need be. Best of luck figuring out what works best for you, the choices can be endless, but they all end in pool. Nobody loses that game.

Reactions: mpiliero
Good for you and best of luck! Keep us all posted on your progress!
Thank you. I will make a thread with pics when they get started. I don't think there are many semi inground build threads (at least I couldn't find many), so hopefully it will give others some ideas or help them decide if a semi install would be for them. Have you decided yet what you're going to do? I like the looks of the in ground best, but nothing can beat the cost of the temporary intex. Best of luck on your decision.

We had access to a pool literally across the street, with wonderful people in that house, but it might have well been just the same as packing up to go anywhere.
Exactly the same. When we go to my cousins, I pack up my daughters wagon with towels, sunscreen, snacks, drinks, goggles, and anything else I think she might want. Plus, you know how kids are - swim for 30 minutes and then want to jump on the trampoline for 10 minutes and then get back in the pool for 20 minutes and then swing for a while and then get back in the pool! So much easier to be in my own backyard, where mommy can stay on her float!

Reactions: Newdude
So much easier to be in my own backyard, where mommy can stay on her float!
And there you have it!!! There is nothing better that getting hot, sweaty, nasty working in the yard then jumping in the pool! I will jump in mid mowing (I have 6.5 acres so LOTS of mowing) then get back to mowing dripping wet! LOL

I am so in to watch this one!

Kim:kim:

Thank you. I will make a thread with pics when they get started. I don't think there are many semi inground build threads (at least I couldn't find many), so hopefully it will give others some ideas or help them decide if a semi install would be for them. Have you decided yet what you're going to do? I like the looks of the in ground best, but nothing can beat the cost of the temporary intex. Best of luck on your decision.
No decisions here yet. I expect we will waffle back and forth for the entire season. We are planning to get a 3rd season out of our current intex and are considering a fall installation - so we have time.

No decisions here yet. I expect we will waffle back and forth for the entire season. We are planning to get a 3rd season out of our current intex and are considering a fall installation - so we have time.
Just curious to see if you made a decision yet. I want to bury this pool about half way and backfill with native soil topped with 3" of river rock. I see the Royal Sands has a 'pre punched' skimmer hole in the wall opposed to some saltwater pools with the stainless steel skimmer panel. Does anyone have experience or opinion about rusting/failure around this area being pre punched and not stainless? I will tag @kimkats

Here is a link to the pool.

I will tell you I had a "pre punched" hole for me skimmer and return and had NO trouble with rust there. May rust was along the seams where the pool walls were bolted together. Started on the bottom and worked its way up :(

I will tell you I had a "pre punched" hole for me skimmer and return and had NO trouble with rust there. May rust was along the seams where the pool walls were bolted together. Started on the bottom and worked its way up :(
Thanks for replying, my head is spinning with all of the options. Do you still have that pool? About how long did it take to start rusting?

The pool let go this summer. We had it since 2012. We replaced the liner and saw some rust on the inside of the pool. We scraped and primer painted it. It lasted about a year and half before the rusting making the seam give way :(
Do you have any experience with liner replacement for an AGP buried half way in the ground? I want to bury our pool about two feet, backfill with native soil. Do you think I will have to excavate around the pool to avoid the walls caving in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.