Semi-Inground construction and deck bridging house to pool - ideas?

JBSurfer

Dec 30, 2019
Wilmington, NC
We recently bought the 27' round saltwater 8000 pool from the pool factory and it's sitting in our garage. Our house has a small covered back deck. We are looking to extend our deck out (uncovered) and then put the pool at the end of it. our yard has a slight slope. Maybe 6-12 inches over the length of the pool, side to side. We can go down as far as 27 inches on the high side with the pool. Our deck at the house is somehwhere around 34 inches off the ground. The pool is a 54" height.

Any ideas how to make sure the dig height is correct for the pool?

I'm at a loss as we want the pool in first, then go back and add the deck due to digging, etc. I have tried a laser level, but don't trust it as it is sitting on wood that is 7 years old and weathered somewhat, so question the level of it. The only other idea I can come up with is to basically buy some straight 2x4s and make a makeshift frame coming off the house so that is level and build out to the pool area and dig and align as we go off of that, then pull it out and reuse if possible when the deck is actually being built.

Also just to add to the upcoming fun. Our well water line probably runs through the very edge of it. Any ideas to find it specifically? I want to re-route that before the digging starts. I tried dowsing rods, but I think that is all mental as it would cross where I was guessing, but would not when i concentrated on not doing it.

And as always, any tips are welcome. Hope to rent equipment and dig myself unless i can find someone to dig it for under $1000. Construction will be by myself and neighbors as needed.

Why not make one step down from your existing deck to the new extended deck to the pool? That step can be 6 to 8" and will give you some leeway with where the pool ends up.

A pic of your property where the pool will go and the existing deck may give us a better idea of your situation.

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

Reactions: Newdude
I'd probably do a step up or down to a new deck for the pool. I love multilevel decks, and you won't have to worry about getting the pool to the perfect height. I hope you post pics of your build. I'm doing something similar, but not until next year, so would love to see what you do.

Reactions: Newdude
The well line is plastic poly no big deal. Shut off breaker and dig. If you hit it just repair with couplings. Call dig safe first no matter what. Cheapest way is to use a water level and spike some wood and mark a level line all around then measure down and run string lines for final height. Just figure out what deck will be and what height u wanna end up with and do the math. Then have someone else do the math too so u have an accomplice if it's wrong. Other choice is dig it close by eye and rent a real laser level and do it that way. Even a builders transit would work fine

Thanks guys. I thought I had it set to alert me when a response was posted. I can call for the digging, but my understanding is they only mark utility lines. I will call just to be safe, but should have nothing in my backyard in that area other than potentially the well line (pvc) and 1 sprinkler, which I already have marked and will move back down the line.

I"ll try to add a picture soon to show.

As for the step idea, I don't really want to do that as we really need a free flowing deck. Our current covered deck is only around 8 ft. With the pool round, the closest point will be about another 12 ft out, so I'm afraid if we add a step then the sitting area will be close to impossible if someone also needs to walk by and everyone is in the sun.

I have tried the string method and think I am needing to dig about 24-25 inches at the highest point to make the deck out to the pool and over it. I am a little too worried to put the top pieces over the deck because I'm afraid we'll end up being off by an inch or two and have a different set of problems or just a weird look of it sticking up over the deck.

On that note, I'm handy enough with tools, etc, built 4 different fences,etc. Any ideas on cost to have someone dig for me compared to my renting equipment and digging? Not sure how long it would take to dig a 29 ft circle 25-18 inches.

You can see what we did in the Electrical pole post I posted earlier. We were all set to do the digging and building of the pool ourselves until I dislocated my left shoulder last March. (still haven't done anything with it except get it back in place). We found a local company that came out and did the digging and put up the pool for $1650.00. After watching them, we were sure glad we didn't tackle that job ourselves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.